Injured Mama Pigeon away from babies

nataliegrinks

Songster
6 Years
Feb 10, 2017
Hey everyone!!
I have an injured mama that was bumped by a hawk yesterday. She actually WALKED home. She is missing quite a few primaries, but nothing seems to be broken. I let her partner see that she was back and then brought her inside for shock. My question is if I keep her inside for a while because she can’t fly will her partner assume she’s not coming back and find a new mate? They have two little guys a week or so old. Should I put her in the nest with the babies? She can’t fly and she hasn’t eaten anything yet. She’s been inside 12 hours. I would appreciate any thoughts on this at all!! Thank you all!!

Some cocks will continue to brood and feed the squabs even in the absence of the hen. Others will abandon them and immediately seek another mate. Depending upon her condition, the location of her nest, and the temperament of the flock I would be tempted to return her to the nest. The last I could do with my roller flock - the homers would probably kill her. Good luck.

Thank you so much for your response. So, I did return her to her nest and she immediately jumped down to the ground and hid. Her mate has found her and is hanging out with her on the ground. I guess just wait and see what they do? I don’t think the babies have been fed since this morning. They seem to be doing OK so far. Do injured birds not want to take care of their babies? This one is new for me.

It’s possible she was injured in some way you can’t detect but it’s also possible the hen is just extremely stressed from the ordeal. Obviously she won’t be able to fly well missing all those feathers but if the wings and legs seem to work fine I wouldn’t be too concerned. Any severe internal injuries would probably catch up to the pigeon sooner than now.

Is the mother able to get into the nest box in her current condition? I’d say give it some time and hopefully the presence of her mate and young will get her to come around. Either way as long as she’s not being picked on I would agree with sourland to keep her in the loft and give the reintroduction some more time.

Thank you for responding. I appreciate it. I’m starting to think she is either still stressed or maybe has a head injury. She not acting right. Even with what she’s been through. She’s not very responsive for lack of a better word. When I put her in the loft she would just hide. I put her in her nest and she would sit there but extremely awkwardly. Like she didn’t know what she was doing. Her nest is three feet of the floor so she couldn’t get in there herself. She also doesn’t really seem to be eating or drinking. I actually baby bird fed her this morning with Baby bird formula. She ate a little then jumped down and hid under the counter.
I brought her back in last night. I was thinking maybe I would put her in the loft again during the day for a little while with her babies and mate and see if she’s any better. I didn’t feel ok with leaving her out over night if she’s just hiding. Her legs and wings do seem to be ok. She just seems really off.

Hoping your hen makes it.. This is another question on my mind.. Is the dad sitting, and taking care of the lil squabs?? Do they endure periods of no parent covering them?? No location in profile,,, so no idea what temperature they are subjected to.
When I had squabs hatch out during cold weather conditions, I supplemented warmth with a heat lamp from under loft floor. An electric seed starter mat would also work right under the nest.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :hugs

Hey they! Everyone is doing great! They do take turns sitting on the babies. No one is left cold for long at all. My hen can actually fly now. Didn’t take long! Her feathers have been growing back fast. So all is well❤️ Thank you so much for asking.

Back
Top Bottom