Britt022

Hatching
Sep 14, 2018
Can anyone help as to what I can give him for pain ? I read aspirin , is BC powder okay ? He was attacked late last night & we are having pretty bad weather, flood advisory so can't take him to see a vet.

If he was attacked by an opposum make sure you clean out the wounds really good. They have a ton of bacteria in their mouths and just about all wounds will get infected and kill the bird.
You don’t need a vet for most chicken related problems. You can buy injectable antibiotics, betadine, neosporin, blue kote etc..

Can anyone help as to what I can give him for pain ? I read aspirin , is BC powder okay ? He was attacked late last night & we are having pretty bad weather, flood advisory so can't take him to see a vet.

Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry to hear about your rooster. Hope you are both safe - are you in NC, SC or GA?

I agree with @roosterhavoc clean the wounds very well and apply an antiseptic to the wounds - what do you have on hand?

Your main question is about BC Powder for pain - I would be concerned about the caffeine in the powders, so personally I would not use them. If you feel he must have something you can dissolve one 81mg low dose Bayer Aspirin (sodium and caffeine free) into 1 quart of water and offer that. He still needs to have plain water available as well.

Photos of the injuries may be helpful.

In addition to the advice posted previously - a bird that has injuries needs to be kept hydrated and relatively warm (75-80F). Once he is drinking, then make food available.

Let us know how he's doing.

Back
Top Bottom