Injured rooster

RoosterThigh

Songster
9 Years
Apr 28, 2013
Indiana
My rooster was trying to save one of his hens when a fox attacked. Unfortunately, the hen got snatched anyway. My rooster I found laying down, thought he was asleep. When getting close I noticed a tiny bit of blood. His right eye is swollen shut but I cant find an injury to it. He is also very lethargic. I can only find some ripped skin from where feathers were torn out. I didn't think he would make it through the night but he did. I have been trying to give him 2 tsp of electrolyte water every 2 hours. Last time I went down he had slime in his mouth and also draining while I was trying to feed him some watery chick grower. I don't know what's wrong with him. He is a bit rattley sounding. Maybe he got shook. Can anyone help with this?

Last edited:
How is he doing?
If possible maybe spray the wounds with vetricyn. Do you know what type of predator? I wonder if he's got some internal injuries?
I'm sure it was a fox. I seen it the other day. I'm trying to get it ,but it was here about 2 months ago and got a chicken. I seen it the next day when it went after some chickens and I started yelling and running at it. I almost reached it. Then it realized how close I was and ran. It was a big fox. My chicken got lucky that day and only lost some belly feathers when she flew up. I haven't seen it since then until today.

How very sad. I can relate as I had a bobcat kill my prized broody hen a few weeks ago, and he returned today for another chicken dinner, terrifying the flock with his three repeat assaults. Thankfully they are all safe behind hot wire.

Your rooster very likely sustained internal injuries during the attack. The fact he is "rattling" when he breathes tells me his lungs may have been injured. They are located on the back close to the surface and are very vulnerable to being crushed.

I don't have much to recommend since you are already doing the best thing by giving him fluids with electrolytes. Keep that up. Keep him warm and quiet and let him rest. There's a chance he will survive, but it will depend on how badly injured he is and how strong he is. I sure am hoping for the best for him and for you.

Last time I went down he had slime in his mouth and also draining while I was trying to feed him some watery chick grower. I don't know what's wrong with him. He is a bit rattley sounding. Maybe he got shook. Can anyone help with this?
I agree with @azygous you are trying to do what you can for him.

He does need to stay hydrated, but be careful that he does not aspirate.
I would not try to feed him much unless he is alert. Slime and draining, he is not swallowing very well.

If you have photos you would like to share that would be good too.

I may try to get pics of him later. This morning he seems worse with the draining. He had gobs of straw stuck in and around his mouth. I cleaned him up but as soon as I laid him down he went to sleep. I did get 4 tsp of water in him, letting him breathe after each little push of the plunger. I feel so bad for him and he has been a great rooster with me and his girls. I pray he comes around.

Sorry about your rooster. Others have given good advice. If he seems stable today, you may want to learn to tube feed him for a few days to get liquids into him, and later food. A vet can sell you a tube and a large syringe, and they may be purchased online from Amazon Prime. A simple tube for fluids can be fashioned from a short 12-14 inch length of aquarium air tubing from WalMart. Take a lighter and slightly melt one end to soften the sharp edges so it does not cut the throat. Get a regular 35 ml syringe or two from your feed store, and that will connect to the tube.

This is adequate for fluids, yogurt and medicines. For watery feed, ground finely, a larger tube and catheter syringe are usually needed. Here is some tube feeding help:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ng-guide-pictures-under-construction.1064392/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...d-pics-for-visuals-very-detailed-post.805615/

Back
Top Bottom