Injured rooster

vetinidaho

In the Brooder
Nov 11, 2023
It gets dark early here, and I locked up the chickens last night when I got home around 5:30pm. When I let them out this morning, Q (our roo) didn't come out. After looking around, his leg was caught in the nylon fencing we have to make their run. I have no idea how long he'd been there. 😥😥 When we got him untangled he limped around and fell forward, and just laid there. I picked him up and put him in the grass, and he tried to walk, but the same thing. I put him back in the coop with some scratch on a small plate to rest. Any ideas how I can help this poor guy. 😥 Thank you in advance! 🙂

Poor guy! Is it possible to take him inside for a short while to inspect him better? To see if his leg is dislocated or even broken? This also might give him time to catch his breath....
Good idea to put him in a quiet place in the coop for now. If only he doesn't have to jump...

Please keep us updated ☺️

O, and welcome to BYC!

Poor guy! Is it possible to take him inside for a short while to inspect him better? To see if his leg is dislocated or even broken? This also might give him time to catch his breath....
Good idea to put him in a quiet place in the coop for now. If only he doesn't have to jump...

Please keep us updated ☺️

O, and welcome to BYC!
Thank you for the reply and the welcome!

Yeah poor guy! He's such a good roo to his ladies. I feel so bad. I put him in the coop, but he insists on being outside with them, even though he is just laying down. I will keep ya posted.

Thank you for the reply and the welcome!

Yeah poor guy! He's such a good roo to his ladies. I feel so bad. I put him in the coop, but he insists on being outside with them, even though he is just laying down. I will keep ya posted.
Aww, so nice to hear he is still caring for his ladies.

Please examen his leg to see if intervention of you is needed...
And if you think he does need rest, could you put him and the ladies in a small enclosure? so the ladies don't wander off and he does not need to follow?

*Update*

I closed all the hens and Q (the roo) in the coop around 1pm yesterday, so he could rest and not worry about his ladies (Pearl, Dottie, Squirt, Bandita, and our 3 newest hens, we got for free, Dorthy, Blanche, and Rose).

This morning Q was standing in the middle of the cup, and is favoring his left foot, but I think he will be fine. Rose has appeasing her foot in the past, and recovered well.

Thank you so much for all the advice! 🙂

It sounds like he may recover. Chickens can get tangled and caught in all kinds of hazards around the coop and run. Some time to heal may show that he will be fine from a sprain. He may have fought and injured himself trying to get out of the netting. Let us know how he gets along.

It sounds like he may recover. Chickens can get tangled and caught in all kinds of hazards around the coop and run. Some time to heal may show that he will be fine from a sprain. He may have fought and injured himself trying to get out of the netting. Let us know how he gets along.
Thank you so much! He seems to be doing alot better! He made it in the coop tonight.

He made me laugh todat,bc he camouflaged himself in the yellow Maple leave, but still an an eye on his ladies!

Back
Top Bottom