My recovering rooster - need tips to fight cabin fever

meredithcc

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2021
Hi all!

I have an injured rooster with a fractured femur, and he is living inside for the winter in a large dog playpen.
His recovery is actually going quite well and he is in good spirits, but I think he is (understandably) bored.
Any ideas for how to keep him from going nuts while he heals? Any chicken toys or the like that you all have had great success with?

Thanks in advance!

I have a old hen who doesn't get around well. I think she has arthritis it seems to be worse in cold weather. She spends time in side sometime too.

I have a non-breakable mirror that I hang inside her large bin she sleeps in when she is inside. I also have various baby toys, rattles and things attached to hangers I can switch out from time to time. Just make sure they can't peck off small pieces or open them up. Check them regularly for cracks or damage. She will talk to herself in the mirror! 🤭

I made a treat toy from a drink bottle by putting a small hole in one side and leave the cap on. You can put a bit of feed crumble or sunflower seeds inside. They will peck the bottle around and when a bit falls out they get a treat. I usually have music playing for her if I am busy in the house.

I am home all day so I spend a lot of time with her to keep her company.

Hope this helps and your boy recovers quickly!

Back
Top Bottom