Injured Wild Pigeons

DerbyTheRoo

Hatching
Feb 9, 2017
I recently rescued two wild pigeons from a man that shot them in the wing with a pellet gun. I was hoping for them to be able to be released, but their wings never recovered and they are unable to fly. I was wondering, I have a coop full of handicapped chickens (one eyed cross beaked, two that the original owner never treated with splayed legs, and some with neurological issues), and thought maybe I could put the pigeons in with them. I already checked them for mites, they don't have them, and was wondering if they could give any diseases to my chickens. I've been quarantining them separately, but I want them to be able to got outside and stretch their wings (I made sure their were no holes big enough in the run for them to squeeze out). Any help would be appreciated!! thank you!

I recently rescued two wild pigeons from a man that shot them in the wing with a pellet gun. I was hoping for them to be able to be released, but their wings never recovered and they are unable to fly. I was wondering, I have a coop full of handicapped chickens (one eyed cross beaked, two that the original owner never treated with splayed legs, and some with neurological issues), and thought maybe I could put the pigeons in with them. I already checked them for mites, they don't have them, and was wondering if they could give any diseases to my chickens. I've been quarantining them separately, but I want them to be able to got outside and stretch their wings (I made sure their were no holes big enough in the run for them to squeeze out). Any help would be appreciated!! thank you!

Not a good idea. As the pigeons can't fly.. they will get cornered by the chickens, attacked and injured.. or even killed.

My rescue pigeons live quite happily with my flock of chickens
1f642.png

My rescue pigeons live quite happily with my flock of chickens
1f642.png

Aww that's awesome!! I was thinking it might work out because the coop I would put them in only has handicapped chickens that can't walk really fast (most of them only have one useable leg). I'll test it out and see what happens! Your pigeon is adorable!! Thanks so much!

They even roost together at nite. They may need a few days to get used to each other, but they do just fine
1f44d.png

But your birds can fly, right?

The OP says their birds can't fly. This means they will not be able to fly out of the way if a chicken wants to attack them for some reason.

I have pigeons and bantam chickens living together fine too... but I never would put disabled birds in with them.. they can be vicious sometimes. I have had chickens attack and kill young pigeons than left the nest and were learning to fly. Now I never allow my birds to breed together.

But your birds can fly, right?

The OP says their birds can't fly. This means they will not be able to fly out of the way if a chicken wants to attack them for some reason.

I have pigeons and bantam chickens living together fine too... but I never would put disabled birds in with them.. they can be vicious sometimes. I have had chickens attack and kill young pigeons than left the nest and were learning to fly. Now I never allow my birds to breed together.

Even if the chickens are all disabled?

Maybe I'm lucky....I don't know. My birds have free range during the day and the pigeons come and go, but always come back so I figure they must be happy here. I can only speak from my experience with keeping them together, but that's good to know.
I have 67 trips around the sun. I have been raising different breeds of birds for decades. As you are probably aware chickens have a pecking order. The chicken at the bottom of the pecking order is always at risk and can be killed mercilessly if it should sustain a bleeding injury. When it comes to mixing different varieties of birds such as chickens and pigeons.

Pigeon are always at the bottom and bullied by "EVERY" chicken regardless of it's position in the chicken hierarchy . They can live in harmony for a while I will grant you that (my set up the same as yours). When it finally turns sour which I bet it will. You will be posting the same warning as me. Kicking yourself for "NOT" listening to the voice of experience.

Things will change with no warning in less than a heartbeat. If you are lucky you may only loose one pigeon (for some reason it will be your favourite).

Are you willing to take that chance for the want of a few feet of chicken wire?

To quote a "WISE" BYC member:

"I can only speak from my experience with keeping them together, but that's good to know."

Last edited:
Maybe I'm lucky....I don't know. My birds have free range during the day and the pigeons come and go, but always come back so I figure they must be happy here. I can only speak from my experience with keeping them together, but that's good to know.

Back
Top Bottom