Injury, Infection, then Bump

On the birds with open wounds, are you leaving them red and exposed? Because that's what attracts the others to peck at the wounds, even to the point of killing the victim.

Blu-kote is a terrific topical dressing because it's got gentian violet in it and acts to disguise the raw meat appearance of any wound or sore, large or small, while killing fungus and bacteria. I use it in conjunction with Vetericyn spray (encourages tissue growth and repair) and a triple antibiotic ointment. This enables me to keep wounded birds with the flock so the pecking order isn't upset.

From your photos, it appears space isn't an issue, but more complexity might improve your flock's well being. Adding perches at a variety of levels, adding other "furniture" such as old chairs and tree stumps, and breaking the run up with partitions, including gates where you can close off trouble makers, all improve flock well being and reduces conflict.

Hi Azygous,

Thanks for the tips. I've added perches and a few other "obstacles" for them to play with. I will look into blu-kote if the issue arrives again. For the most part they all seem to be healed, or atleast large enough to protect themselves or run away now. I'm noticing a small peck injury here or there but very minimal.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom