Injury on roos foot. What to do?! *PICS*

Echoes

Crowing
14 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Utah
So I went out to feed the quail this morning and there were splats of blood all over the cage. Thought maybe there was a fight in there, though that would be strange because they've (1 roo & 6 hens) always been fine together. Though, 2 of the girls were just introduced in there alittle over a week ago. The only injury I can see is on the bottom of the males foot. The pad (heel?) is mostly ripped off, still a piece kinda hanging on.
My question is, obviously: What do I do? Clean it? Put something on it? Let it be and heal on its own?
My second question is: What the heck happened? I don't think it was a fight between them but I guess maybe it could've been??? I have a roll cage setup, so it extends alittle past the cage and isnt covered. Is it likely a mouse or something got in there and the male was defending the pack? Not sure if its normal behavior for quail.?? Maybe his foot just got caught and pinched in somewhere and this is the result.????
They seemed alittle more jumpy this morning so something happened I think.

Attachments

• qb2.jpeg
    qb2.jpeg
    364.1 KB · Views: 16
  • qb1.jpeg
    qb1.jpeg
    269.3 KB · Views: 12
  • qb3.jpeg
    qb3.jpeg
    341.4 KB · Views: 13
Get that thing cleaned, and get him off of the wire for a while. That can easily turn into bumblefoot should it get infected.

Injuries to feed often happen on wire bottoms. A bit of poop will stick to the wire, dry out, and have a jagged edge, or there may be a bit of wire sticking up. Do your birds have places to rest their feet from the wire? Dirt baths or hiding places?

Get that thing cleaned, and get him off of the wire for a while. That can easily turn into bumblefoot should it get infected.

Injuries to feed often happen on wire bottoms. A bit of poop will stick to the wire, dry out, and have a jagged edge, or there may be a bit of wire sticking up. Do your birds have places to rest their feet from the wire? Dirt baths or hiding places?
Will do!
and yes, they have a decent sized nesting box inside the cage that all 7 could fit in at once (they wanted, would be pretty tight though) with a nesting pad for a bottom. Also have a dust bath in there next to the box. Maybe from now on I'll just fill the bottom with hay or nesting pads so the wire is covered?
Will have to wait til im out of work to do all that and the cleaning. Hopefully hes okay

Back
Top Bottom