Insulation Under Clear Roof?

feathermaid

Egg Obsessed
5 Years
Feb 5, 2018
Northwest Oregon
My Coop
My Coop
I'm almost finished building my new coop and plan to use the Suntuf polycarbonate panels in the gray color which blocks 99% UV rays and offers 35% light transmission (35% of sunlight shines through). The interior is painted light gray and I was looking forward to having and bright coop inside. There will be plenty of ventilation on 3 sides but the back is against a solid fence. However, now I'm worried that it may get too hot inside during the summer as there's no tall trees around for shade... only the fence and coop itself. The roofing will cover the coop and additional 12' of run space.

I was thinking of getting an insulation panel to attach under the roof inside the coop only during the summer months and remove during winter. I found these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/R-Matte...-Rigid-Foam-Insulation-Board-754404/100572981

That kind seems to be safer than all the other types of rigid foam boards.
Would that be a good idea?
If so, how far below the roof should the highest roost be? (don't want anyone pecking the insulation)
Or will the gray roof panels be fine on their own?

You may be offering a solution that is dire need of a problem.

I have the same stuff in opaque white, and I get almost no heat gain I'm aware of from the sun shining through. Diffused light....yes.....heat gain......no.

Before you go to the trouble of doing this, give it a chance without it first. You may not need it.

I agree w post #2. My coop is a converted shed with a corrugated metal roof and I insulated it to avoid overheating. The insulation became infested w mice, so I removed the insulation, and really, it isn't any hotter inside, it's still okay. I put a fan inside for hens laying during the summer days. I put shade cloth over parts of their run and that helps a lot.
I'm guessing it gets hotter here than where you are.

You may be offering a solution that is dire need of a problem.

I have the same stuff in opaque white, and I get almost no heat gain I'm aware of from the sun shining through. Diffused light....yes.....heat gain......no.

Before you go to the trouble of doing this, give it a chance without it first. You may not need it.

You know, I always thought and agreed with exactly what you're saying!
But recently I have read so many posts of people terrified and scolding others for using a transparent roof because it will turn into a greenhouse and roast the chickens, I guess I got scared.

As my profile suggests, I am in Aus and we do do hot and sunny summers ;)

We have the Suntuf polycarbonate panels in grey on our coop and run and it does not get too hot in the coop which is bright and airy:

Crystal & Cilla 30 June 2017.JPG

Back
Top Bottom