Integrating babies

Jul 1, 2019
New Mexico
Hi!

I have four four-week-old chicks. They will have been quarantined from my big hens for a month this Saturday. I would like to integrate them with the big flock, since I am pretty sure one or two are cockerels, and I don't want them picking on the little girls once they hit sexual maturity. I know how to integrate them, but what about feed? My big girls eat layer pellets, how can I keep the chick feed separate? And what about water? I have mine at the height of the big girls' backs, but the little ones are bantams and won't be able to reach the water for a while.

Thanks for any tips!

Put out a waterer or two at chick height (my chick waterer doesn't go away until I see my chicks drinking from the adult sized waterer).

For feed, put everyone on the chick's feed, whether it's starter or all flock. Until the chicks are old enough to start laying, the entire flock should be on starter, grower or all flock, whatever it is you're feeding the chicks. Oyster shell on the side for laying hens.

Put out a waterer or two at chick height (my chick waterer doesn't go away until I see my chicks drinking from the adult sized waterer).

For feed, put everyone on the chick's feed, whether it's starter or all flock. Until the chicks are old enough to start laying, the entire flock should be on starter, grower or all flock, whatever it is you're feeding the chicks. Oyster shell on the side for laying hens.
Thanks! This is great to know because I am almost out of Layer Feed anyways, so I can just get more chick feed! Should I be concerned about the chicks trying to eat the oyster shell? Should I try to put it out of their reach?

Thanks! This is great to know because I am almost out of Layer Feed anyways, so I can just get more chick feed! Should I be concerned about the chicks trying to eat the oyster shell? Should I try to put it out of their reach?

They might eat a little out of curiosity, but shouldn't really want to past that.

I admit I do move my oyster shell cup a bit higher (it hangs on the wall) when chicks are around. :D

Back
Top Bottom