intemittent stumbling

Denmarc

Chirping
Sep 9, 2016
I have a 7 year old barred rock Penny that recently I have heard her squawking loudly and running/stumbling and flapping then as quickly as it starts it stops and she is back to her usual self. At first my son thought she might have been stung by a wasp or something, but I did not notice any swelling or area like a sting. and it happens when she is in the coop or out. she is eating and stooling normally . this activity happens 2-3 times a day, but some days I do not notice it happening at all.

Penny is getting on in years, so her age could be catching up to her ideas of perpetual youth. Oh, wait. That's me.

What color is Penny's comb and facial tissue when this episode occurs? Watch next time. Look for the comb to turn dark, dusky grey-red. It could be she's having momentary heart issues that cause her to panic, or she may even be blacking out for a few seconds.

Aging chickens often have similar issues as old humans, hardening of the arteries, deteriorating heart muscle, and even small strokes. I have had chickens do what Penny is doing, and they were beginning to age.

I lean toward aging as a diagnosis for the simple reason a hen Penny's age has likely developed immunity to the more serious avian viruses, or she wouldn't have reached the ripe old age of seven.

Back
Top Bottom