Free Ranging
5 Years
Nov 12, 2015
Australia NSW

Punkybrewster

Crowing
Feb 23, 2018
Upstate sc
Line #2 pullets are begining to lay. Their color is better than line #1.
The last 4 in this pic are line #2.
Im hoping their shape gets more round as they lay more.

I also notice the are redder than line #1.

20210117_183357.jpg

chickengr

Free Ranging
6 Years
Dec 29, 2014
greece
Not sure I agree. I had a Pullet give me about 12 eggs last year and she went broody. Was a great mother also. If nature says it’s ok who am I to say it’s not.
Personally I’m not talking about Pullets that just started laying but a 8-10 month old Pullet I do not see an issue.

I was talking about pullets that just started to lay. if they start laying at 5-6 months I wouldn't mind to hatch their eggs when they are 10+ mo.

but marans usually start laying at 7-8+ mo.

Chooks man

Free Ranging
5 Years
Nov 12, 2015
Australia NSW
Line #2 pullets are begining to lay. Their color is better than line #1.
The last 4 in this pic are line #2.
Im hoping their shape gets more round as they lay more.

I also notice the are redder than line #1.

View attachment 2494803

very nice , lovely color especially the 2 first on the right . all the worry and the hard work are paying off now my friend .
do not get tempted to incubate these eggs .be patient and let the pullets become hens before you breed them ,
you want to have great future stock ,so hatch from hens not pullets .

chooks man

Chooks man

Free Ranging
5 Years
Nov 12, 2015
Australia NSW
Not sure I agree. I had a Pullet give me about 12 eggs last year and she went broody. Was a great mother also. If nature says it’s ok who am I to say it’s not.
Personally I’m not talking about Pullets that just started laying but a 8-10 month old Pullet I do not see an issue.

in the nature chicks from pullets will be eaten by the foxes .
nature does not do wrong but does not have time to baby sit any body .
chooks man

Punkybrewster

Crowing
Feb 23, 2018
Upstate sc
I remember way back on this thread, it was strongly suggested to only incubate eggs that are 65g or more.

This would produce larger, healthier pullets.
Big egg= big hens.

I am assuming that when the eggs are large enough, they will be close to a year old given that they start laying around 7-8 months old.

In my mind, that means I only have to wait about 3-4 months to hatch properly. It doesnt seem too long of a wait if I think this way.

Problem is, this would mean i wait until May or June.
Here in the south, it gets so humid and hot, i have difficulty keeping the humidity down in the incubator.

But I will wait for them to reach at least 65g.

Chooks man

Free Ranging
5 Years
Nov 12, 2015
Australia NSW
I remember way back on this thread, it was strongly suggested to only incubate eggs that are 65g or more.

This would produce larger, healthier pullets.
Big egg= big hens.

I am assuming that when the eggs are large enough, they will be close to a year old given that they start laying around 7-8 months old.

In my mind, that means I only have to wait about 3-4 months to hatch properly. It doesnt seem too long of a wait if I think this way.

Problem is, this would mean i wait until May or June.
Here in the south, it gets so humid and hot, i have difficulty keeping the humidity down in the incubator.

But I will wait for them to reach at least 65g.

yes you are correct . 65g is the minimum .
I know few friends of mine in France they practice one incubation a year ,same months each year end of April . pullets hatched end of April { Spring in France} will be penned to breed from at 10 months old end of February , the eggs will be collected 4 weeks after penning them with a rooster end of March ,that mean the pullets are now 11 months old .the chicks will hatch again end of April .the mothers now are 1 year old .
year in year out ,same method ,great result . one of the best marans lines in Europe . proven formula from serious marans breeders .

chooks man

Top Bottom