International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

She has laid darker. I have two older BCM with no copper, not pretty at all but in my laying flock. I have 2 Blues, 1 Splash and 3 Black hens. Are Black Marans common in Australia? Do your hens lay year around? Are you staying up all night?

Last edited:
Hi RedBank the rooster you are talking about in marans aspiran is faultless his name is Bello ( I  name him ) he is stunning ,
did you see the pullets he end up throwing gorgeous all with great type and beautiful coppery hackle. problem he has yield a good son . mostly over colored on the chest ( I think Laurent would not wait for them to mature and molt, that all) very early selection . luck of space .

chickengr I like the way you thinking .Broody hen s to rise your marans chooks ,great way to do t. less work and better result .smart chooks they will know how to roost .

Marans Aspiran will take you time to get used to t . good for photos and be in contact with the source.

here the name of the varieties in French .

NCC = BCopper
NCA = Birchen
BLCC = Blue copper
CCA = Silver cuckoo.
CCD = Golden cuckoo.
Blanche = White.
FRQN = BTBuff.
Noir = Black
FRD = Wheaten.

hope that will help you navigate through easily .

chooks man

I have lots with colour on chest to. Never keep them long enough to molt, usually hit the freezer. At what age would they molt?

My favorite boy, Coq 3 got beat up pretty bad. Comb messed up and missing hackle feathers..... but he is still my favorite.

This is the second cockerel and comments from Chooks Man.

Cock 2 : too many fault
bad body type triangle rather than rectangle
Too tall .
Tail too high and open structure .
Comb has a sprig on the front
shanks too dark

he will make good coq au vin .

That's good. I like Coq au Vin.
droolin.gif

What is this.... "Comb has a sprig on the front" I am not sure what I am looking at. Also, what does it mean the "Tail too high and open structure" I guess I would need to be a show judge to see this stuff right off. I see the triangled body shape!
tongue.png

nice color for this time of the year , is a summer over there ,

is she black . I like her egg ,she mast managed to lay darker than that early in the season.

chooks man

It is summer in the USA. Your life sounds so rich in experiences, your mother sounds very accomplished in her pursuits. As do you, your parents and travel history makes me curious. Do you speak multiple languages? I assume you learned a bit here and there as you traveled/worked abroad.

Quote: You must be reading the thread from the very beginning! That is good. He carries his tail straight up at 90 degrees it should be at 45. The tail should for a pyramid shape and meet at the top. A sprig means a growth on the side of his comb like a point that should not be there. Here is one on my Bielefelder boy (I no longer have him).

Last edited:
My favorite boy, Coq 3 got beat up pretty bad. Comb messed up and missing hackle feathers..... but he is still my favorite.

Hi RedBank watch your boys. they are rare thing.

Coq 3 is my favorite too . he have all what you want on BCM rooster . Breeder of 1st class.

he s the only rooster you have ho can go over any Black copper/ Blue copper hens and will give a great result.

you have to keep this rooster nice and safe for I long as I you can .

you will need him for Back crossing to establish your line .based on him as a supreme sire.

watch him he is an asset .

chooks man

LL
Hi RedBank
I was waiting for this photo for a while .happy you posted t.

Great rooster.Faultless .I do not see any thing wrong with him . he will score +95 point if he was exhibited in Europe ( not UK ) national .

Balance between the Black and the copper . each color is occupied it place not over taking the other. great harmony .every part is well colored and well put together .

Type = Great . long. wide .deep not tall neither square .
mass = Great. Heavy bird ,meaty type.
Copper = great. nice tone to t
Black = great. free from mossyness or excess sheen
head = great , medium .solid well put together
eyes= great , nice orange color
comb = good. well formed and serrated
wattles = great . nice form ,size
eras lobe = good , medium size good red color
Neck = great , well coppery color . solid well erected and curved
Back =great . long ,flat and wide ,nicely tailed
Shoulder = great . wide and good color Rich red just enough
Tail = great form ,shape and angle
Wings= great . well tucked in .
Chest = great , wide ,deep and well colored.
Legs = great , strait ,solid ,nicely fathered and colored .right size .well spaced .
Rear = great . wide .free from any fluff . well colored
Feathers = great . no sign of looseness or fluff. well colored and free from sheen only in the right places ( tail .wings )
Ears tuft =great . same color as the hackle

chooks man

I recently asked for a critique of my #1 pick. Here are the photos and Chooks Man's comments.

I had a look at your cockerels . here what I see; Cock 1 = is almost faultless is a keeper for sure Head = solid and pretty comb = nice size and texture .free from sprig and coronation . wattle = medium well formed Eyes = pretty orange Ears tufts = nice color Beak = solid nicely curved and nice horn color . Neck = solid well curve at the head level .lush with nice copper.( I can no see any flame need close up photos of his hackle) Body type = Great back = long ,wide and tilted well colored nice copper Lancet = long lush and well colored. Chest = wide ,nice black with a coppery spot ( Excellent ). Wing = well tucked in . nice black shiny wing bow and wing triangle. Tail = a little long but nice shape and form well angled . well put together from the rear Shanks = nice color not to dark .some pink toes and rear. Feet = enough feathers. strait and solid. well spaced . he s going a be a great breeder and Show quality bird. I don't want you to think I posted this because he said nice things about my cockerel. Honestly I was on the fence about this cockerel because I have never seen a good BCM Rooster in person. It really helped me. Some of the things I thought were not good were and vice versa. The second cockerel is in another post.
He's beautiful Redbanks! Cant wait til mine get this big so I can see how my two groups measure up to the SOP. This roo will make you some really nice babies. :)

Back
Top Bottom