International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

img_1518244795711-jpg.1260467

@kfelton0002

it is the copper genes causing the feathers to become lighter . it is not a parasitic white it it a fluff type .
we have to select for the dark fluff

chooks man

Griffin is the worst. Look at all that white!

View attachment 1260477

it is normal for Griffin to have so much white because his hackle is lighter ( Straw type)
did you notice all his hackle feathers lost they black color .they are light golden almost all the way through. like the wheaten rooster .( doesn t mean he has a Wheaten blood on him . ) the copper has been replaced with a lower quality gold that all .could be by mutation / impurity of the Grand parent stock etc...........

chooks man

Kayla,

I’ve noticed that my pullets eggs are slightly larger than their Dams also. Not sure why that is.

My breeder girls finally started laying this week so I’m gonna get the incubator set up.

Keith

Ah Keith Not sure why your pullets eggs are slightly larger than they Dams . Because you are a good breeders .you selected well the pairing . the Result yo produced a superior progeny .

Bravo

chooks man

Maybe so...we know the Rooster plays a big part in the dark egg genes so maybe he also passes on genes for shape and sheen. However it happens I’ll take it.

I can’t wait to see what comes out of that egg with Wilson on it! :lau

Keith

the sire has a role too . but the mama hen has too much power over him in this traits ( production /number and size )
we notice this when we cross any larger rooster to any Bantam hen . the pullets progeny will produce larger eggs than they dams but smaller than they sire dam.
so both has a contribution .the difference is the amount . the hen passes more .

chooks man

It was in the 70's here today and very nice out! Winter is very bizarre in KY. One week it could be warm and mild, the next week it could be bitter cold with snow and ice.

Anyway, I took some pictures of a few more cockerels that would stand still and pose.

This is the cockerel with the growth-like bump on his beak near his nostrils. He is another son from Apollo and Sheraz (formerly known as "#60"). He is looking very good in shape and color. He is rectangular in shape and has decent tail angle for now if it doesnt get any higher. Sheraz blessed most of her sons with her long, flat back.

View attachment 1266060
View attachment 1266070 View attachment 1266072 View attachment 1266073 View attachment 1266074
Pardon the clutter in the last pic. My son makes it nearly impossible to keep my yard picked up. He is always into everything and leaves stuff laying around. :rolleyes:

he is Sublime .love his chunkiness .and the shape of his body .true marans rectangular .
Shiraz prove me wright . the type is from mama hen .he is as chunky and long as her .

screenshot_20180215-200548-jpg.1266072

good rear too good tail too
Keep your eyes on him .very special specimen . the comb need work .not a big deal.
Shiraz start with a S . you could name this guy Sultan , breed him back to Shiraz and start your S line .bred for all this good trait I like about them

this is sort of type i select for .chunky /thick /solid/ sound /well put together /straight legs . those type of marans they stay short on they feet..

the other type is the tall skinny on .late maturing .big type when adult .tall on they feet .

you have done really great my friend .

Chooks man

20180215_173725-jpg.1266074

@kfelton0002

I really like this guy .and I like the pairing of Apollo X Shiraz.
this pairing is showing all sign of greatness .
the body type is always the first when we breed any thing . this pair is producing great body type .
here some more name for him with S = Samir . Socrates ( Greek philosopher ). Spirit, Saffron .

chooks man

Here is another cockerel from Apollo and Sheraz. His tail is too high but he is a very chunky cockerel. His crop is full from feeding time in the pic.

View attachment 1266083

Wow . Shiraz is a 100% cockerels Dams . she is a QUEEN SHIRAZ worthy to be a first foundation hen for this line .

this cockerel is a brick on legs with a head and tail .can t be more marans than that .OK the tail is high .but don t forget .it is from his sire not from his dam .

chooks man

As I have mentioned, all of my males that are turning cocks this spring have white underfluff, including Gideon my Line B (FRF) cockerel. My line A males are the worst, including most of the current grow outs who are already showing white underfluff. Luckily I have come up with a game plan, a nice dark overly melanized cockerel from a different line completely with dark underfluff to hopefully help me correct the parasitic white. I will keep this crossing marked separate as its own line.

This cockerel is 4.5 months old. He has beautiful type so far and I adore his tail! His comb isnt good, but that is at the back of my mind for now with him and can be worked on later. He is a shy fellow and isnt as tame as my other boys but I managed to get a few decent pictures of him.

View attachment 1266104 View attachment 1266105 View attachment 1266107 View attachment 1266108 View attachment 1266110 View attachment 1266111 View attachment 1266113 View attachment 1266114

Yeah 1005 with you .
it is the type of a cockerel I suggest in the earlier post .

where he come from .loaded with a Melanin . can be helpful some type .
we are a chooks breeders we have to find what work for us .

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom