International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I am loving the first hen's comb! And the hen in the second pic my eye went straight to her tail. Very nice! I love how your birds are not the fluffy type like a lot of my LA birds are. Very nicely feathered and they hold themselves well. They all look so elegant. Their plumage is a great asset. You can tell they have great mass and are not all fluff and feathers.

Thank you..... you have so many beautiful Marans. That is how I feel when I see pictures of yours!:highfive:

He does have a very nice comb! Definitely hang on to him.. he would be a keeper in my book. His color looks like it will be nice once he matures more. He has a solid black breast, free of shafting or leakage. Long back and good tail angle. Leg feathering is good, and type is excellent. This bird will be stunning, I would wager. You don't need any LP's if you keep cranking out birds like this! Well done!

Remember when we both wanted LPs! Well.... it hasn't gone away completely but I like my flock.

Thank you..... you have so many beautiful Marans. That is how I feel when I see pictures of yours!:highfive:

Aww thank you! I always drool over pictures of your birds! I think we see our own birds so much they lose their "wow" factor to us because we look at them everyday. You can definitely see the LP influence in your birds. I am here to tell you... WOW! I love your girls!
If they were mine, I wouldn't take a sack full of rubies for them! :love

That is why I am such a chicken hoarder. :gig My birds are all my precious. My precious! :lol:

My problem is, I live in Canada. Real hassle trying to get anything in.

Yeah I understand. With the egg color you are getting from your birds, I really don't see that you need it. If you order eggs, odds are you may end up with birds that are not near as nice as birds you already have. LP eggs are $175 a dozen. There is an auction going on her facebook page right now. You have no idea how much will power it takes not to bid and make those eggs mine! But my luck, only 1 would hatch and it would be gimpy or something. That's just how odds play out for me it seems. lol

Yeah I understand. With the egg color you are getting from your birds, I really don't see that you need it. If you order eggs, odds are you may end up with birds that are not near as nice as birds you already have. LP eggs are $175 a dozen. There is an auction going on her facebook page right now. You have no idea how much will power it takes not to bid and make those eggs mine! But my luck, only 1 would hatch and it would be gimpy or something. That's just how odds play out for me it seems. lol
Every time I feel the LP pull I remind myself they are just like all other lines with good and bad. There is no guarantee I would get a bird any better than the ones I have. I am not putting LP down. I think they are amazing/beautiful and love the story behind them.

Every time I feel the LP pull I remind myself they are just like all other lines with good and bad. There is no guarantee I would get a bird any better than the ones I have. I am not putting LP down. I think they are amazing/beautiful and love the story behind them.

Same here. Her birds and eggs are marvelous. I have always been a huge follower of hers. But they carry the same problems my birds currently have (because of so much LP influence) so I wouldn't be changing anything. She added two new pullets to her line this year, one has a lot of copper leakage and shafting. A lot of my cull males had tons of copper leakage and shafting. Some people have claimed their LP birds have parasitic white, my birds have parasitic white. Her birds carry vulture hocks, so do mine. lol! I will just keep working with my bunch and hope the offspring are a step in the forward direction. I can't help but window shop though and ogle her lovely eggs and birds. Her line is definitely not lacking in copper or egg color, that is certain.

I love honest chicken folk, and Brenda Little seems to be a real straight shooter. She doesnt sugar coat and she is open about flaws that you may see in her birds. A truly respectful quality in a person. Here are pictures of a few of her cull cockerels in the past. They look very similar to culls I encountered this year in my own birds.

*I took these pics with the camera on my phone while looking at the pics on my laptop. I did not copy the pictures.*

Slight vulture hocks
20171119_211656.jpg

Copper leakage and shafting
20171119_211738.jpg
20171119_211809.jpg

Back
Top Bottom