International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

@marchick
we look at this one .
View attachment 3337776
the one on the left standing tall .is the one I commented on his just now ,the one I like .he has a comb with less point ..
the one on the right on the point of turning look good too
chooks man
We are thinking alike because those are the 2 I liked they have a shorter tail which I like.

I'm down to 1 four year old hen that has mostly given up laying, the roo and other 3 hens that I brought with me were taken by an owl that found its way into the barn through a ten inch hole in the rafters I could not see from the ground. Here before Halloween I had a good 50 5 month old grow outs to chose from Then the deaths started in the grow out barn. Long story short, Lymphoid Leukosis was brought in from some hatchery chicks and infected everyone in the grow out barn. I had to de-populate over 200 birds and sterilize the barn and yard around it with Virkon S. The only ray of sunshine to this whole debacle is that after moving to the 230 acres we bought in February, the grow out barn is half a mile from the breeding barns and pens.

Even with the distance between barns, I had to sacrifice 4 of each pen or barn to have them declared clear. As I breed rare and endangered for the most part that hurt. I am just lucky that I have enough barns spaced far enough apart to keep each stage of growth separate. I hatch in one barn which is five hundred feet away from the brooder barn which is half a mile away from the grow out barns at the front of the property and the breeder pens and barns are at the very back of the property.

So it looks like it will be 2024 before I can start to repopulate my BCM flock sadly. I have to grow out my numbers of the endangered breeds first.

I'm down to 1 four year old hen that has mostly given up laying, the roo and other 3 hens that I brought with me were taken by an owl that found its way into the barn through a ten inch hole in the rafters I could not see from the ground. Here before Halloween I had a good 50 5 month old grow outs to chose from Then the deaths started in the grow out barn. Long story short, Lymphoid Leukosis was brought in from some hatchery chicks and infected everyone in the grow out barn. I had to de-populate over 200 birds and sterilize the barn and yard around it with Virkon S. The only ray of sunshine to this whole debacle is that after moving to the 230 acres we bought in February, the grow out barn is half a mile from the breeding barns and pens.

Even with the distance between barns, I had to sacrifice 4 of each pen or barn to have them declared clear. As I breed rare and endangered for the most part that hurt. I am just lucky that I have enough barns spaced far enough apart to keep each stage of growth separate. I hatch in one barn which is five hundred feet away from the brooder barn which is half a mile away from the grow out barns at the front of the property and the breeder pens and barns are at the very back of the property.

So it looks like it will be 2024 before I can start to repopulate my BCM flock sadly. I have to grow out my numbers of the endangered breeds first.
I am so sorry! I am glad your grow out barn is good. Hopefully you can recover with time. I always worry about bringing birds home because you just never know what they could be carrying.

So very sorry! What a string of bad luck. I'm sure that was hard to take. Smart separating the birds that way. I also try to quarantine new chicks but we can only do so much. Wishing you the best in getting things back going. Hopefully smooth sailing!

I post awhile back these are my 2 FBCM’s from Alchemists Farm they are now 17 weeks here is an update:
Brownie my pullet looks much the same just bigger:
3656E3BB-210E-42DE-8C08-A4627D70C417.jpeg

067369B8-FC76-4FBE-AFDC-C3D096625AAA.jpeg

And then I have Oreo a gangly teen still but promising I hope. Temperament wise I couldn’t ask for more. No aggression to me, the kids, or the pullets.
B486FB94-3A62-4DE6-801D-F58F5A1E3EE8.jpeg

6967C525-A863-4515-8BF4-555E0DE1CAB1.jpeg

9EB5AA24-EF40-4532-8850-808F80EB6268.jpeg

I am hoping to gain some insight from those with an experienced eye to see if you folks think I could/should responsibly hatch from this pair. I am rather fond of this breed out of all of the breeds I received. I love their look and most of all their level headedness.

Thank you 😊

wow man it is a big problem ,hope you will recover well and fast from it .
sorry to hear that and sorry I can t help you ,you are so far away from me different continent . if you where in Oz I will sent you some mature marans breeders chooks so you can restart faster .
chooks man

Back
Top Bottom