Introducing Chicks to Hens

lian_kugler6

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2021
I have 4 older sapphire gem hens. They’ve been living in the coop for about 2-3 years. I’m trying to introduce two girl chicks and one baby rooster. They are about 11 weeks old. It seems that the older ones keep ruthlessly attacking the chicks and I cannot get them to stop. How should I go about introducing them? I tried doing it at night but they woke up and attacked them. I also tried doing it between a fenced area but that also didn’t work. I really want to keep my chicks protected, but I cannot keep them in a small cage for too much longer.

How big is the fenced in area? New chicks tend to get pegged for a while until they get used to them. But if they have a place to run and hide that would get them started.

I build protected areas and have different levels that the little ones can hide under, but I don't have a fenced area so it might not work for you since they won't be able to get away.

How big is the fenced in area? New chicks tend to get pegged for a while until they get used to them. But if they have a place to run and hide that would get them started.

I build protected areas and have different levels that the little ones can hide under, but I don't have a fenced area so it might not work for you since they won't be able to get away.
It’s a fairly big area, not sure on measurements tho. It has the coop area and then a run attached to it. Do you think that with three chicks they would be able to help each other out? The level idea is a very good idea and I could definitely try that out.

It’s a fairly big area, not sure on measurements tho. It has the coop area and then a run attached to it. Do you think that with three chicks they would be able to help each other out? The level idea is a very good idea and I could definitely try that out.

For sure if there are three chicks together, they will support each other. That should mean for you they can be released sooner.

I use bricks and wooden boards to build little areas to hide. I have a picture of a recent integration I did. I only had to cover them one day and on the second day they were free, but still need places to hide because every chicken picks on them.
20210727_090235.jpg

For sure if there are three chicks together, they will support each other. That should mean for you they can be released sooner.

I use bricks and wooden boards to build little areas to hide. I have a picture of a recent integration I did. I only had to cover them one day and on the second day they were free, but still need places to hide because every chicken picks on them.
View attachment 2781333
That is such a good idea! I’m gonna try this as soon as I can. Thank you so much!

View attachment 2781333
What type of chicks are those?

I highly recommend any form of "see don't touch" method. Ladt time I added chicks (it's been a couple of years now), I used welded wire fencing to make a separate area in the run for the newbies.
20190804_132600.jpg

I've also put a wire cage on bricks so that the littles could get in and out under the cage, but the bigger birds were kept out. You can see the cage in the pic above. Eventually, I let them all forage together.

I highly recommend any form of "see don't touch" method. Ladt time I added chicks (it's been a couple of years now), I used welded wire fencing to make a separate area in the run for the newbies.
View attachment 2781339

I've also put a wire cage on bricks so that the littles could get in and out under the cage, but the bigger birds were kept out. You can see the cage in the pic above. Eventually, I let them all forage together.
That looks super nice, I’m thinking of doing the “see can’t touch”. Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom