Introducing young pullet

Little_Lola

Hatching
Jun 23, 2020
Kuttawa, Kentucky
I got a young australorp pullet about a month ago. She has been kept separate in a cage inside the coop ever since. I have tried letting her out with the other hens and pullets but my other black australorp pullet beats up on her and will literally chase her as soon as I let her out. Some of the other hens will peck at her head when she comes near. I figured a month of being out there with them they would accept her better. Everyone else gets along fine but they don’t like this young pullet at all. Any advice on what I can do to get her out of the cage and in the coop?

Have you tried separating one of your other pullets in with her for a bit? If you want to try putting someone in with her, maybe put the others in another space if you can and let new pullet and buddy-to-be have some space to work it out without the others around. Once she has a buddy and they can be reintroduced to the flock together integration usually goes a lot better.

I've heard people suggest pinless peepers for situations like this also, but have never tried them myself. May be worth looking into though.

I got a young australorp pullet about a month ago. She has been kept separate in a cage inside the coop ever since. I have tried letting her out with the other hens and pullets but my other black australorp pullet beats up on her and will literally chase her as soon as I let her out. Some of the other hens will peck at her head when she comes near. I figured a month of being out there with them they would accept her better. Everyone else gets along fine but they don’t like this young pullet at all. Any advice on what I can do to get her out of the cage and in the coop?
How many hens...all are over one year old?
How big is coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help here.

The one one pullet is probably low bird, they are generally the one who beat on the newbies, protecting their place in the order or just happy to have subordinate to beat on.
I'd put the problem pullet in the cage and let the new one in with the other birds.

Pinless peepers should be a last resort.

Back
Top Bottom