Hello and welcome to BYC! :frowGlad you joined.

Good luck with your incubation. Next time try a broody hen. They are completely reliable when the power goes out, never need to be calibrated and will brood and raise the chicks for you after the hatch is over.
Defiantly going to give it ago when one gets broody. I have some questions if you don't mind me asking? How long do they stay broody? If she gets broody and I get some eggs online will she still be broody when they arrive? Also, will they be noticeably broody? I know they get aggressive but id want to make sure!!

it looks like this, not sure its working so great now on day 22 :( think I will look out for a Brinsea one. I want the mini advance one its the perfect size and I've heard its reliable.
Oh no :( it was the polystyrene on it that had me wondering. Can highly recommend a Brinsea, I got my octagon after my cheap one and it was well worth the extra money spent. It’s never missed a beat even when on for nearly a straight 6 months when my hatching of eggs was out of control:lol:

Oh no :( it was the polystyrene on it that had me wondering. Can highly recommend a Brinsea, I got my octagon after my cheap one and it was well worth the extra money spent. It’s never missed a beat even when on for nearly a straight 6 months when my hatching of eggs was out of control:lol:
I will defiantly get one. this one looses temp as the room temp goes down in the night so I have to keep the radiator on next to it as well, very costly in electric. Just so heart broken I could've had some chicks by now.

If it’s been running a tad low on temp you may just have late chicks so still time yet :fl when you get another thermometer you will know for sure.

This place sometimes has offers on incubators. I get all my stuff from them and they are very reliable ~ https://www.theincubatorshop.co.uk/

How long do they stay broody?
It depends on the bird.
If she gets broody and I get some eggs online will she still be broody when they arrive?
Usually. It worked for me.
Also, will they be noticeably broody?
Usually.
This is an example of a broody psycho.
I know they get aggressive
Not always. They show distinct signs that they want to be a mother and not leave the nest. I've only had 2 that would bite and twist :mad: and one new mother flew right in my face the morning after hatch. Very reactive that one. But most of mine would just give a half-hearted peck after puffing up and flattening out to let me know they wanted to stay and keep the eggs, thank you very much.

Welcome to the coop! I use the Forums and Articles tabs at the top of the page to do research. You can get lost for hours. It's nice to know you are minutes away from getting help with questions and emergencies! I always check in the "What's New" section as well at the top of this page. This way I can read how I may have a similar question or help give some advice.

it looks like this, not sure its working so great now on day 22 :( think I will look out for a Brinsea one. I want the mini advance one its the perfect size and I've heard its reliable.
I love my mini advance. It works great. And, It's the perfect size to keep me from overpopulating.

Defiantly going to give it ago when one gets broody. I have some questions if you don't mind me asking? How long do they stay broody? If she gets broody and I get some eggs online will she still be broody when they arrive? Also, will they be noticeably broody? I know they get aggressive but id want to make sure!!
Some of my hens will go broody and I have to remove them from the nest, others are on and off for several days before they settle down.

I've always hatched my own eggs, but mine will stay broody for around 4 weeks. I like to hatch a few in the incubator and give the chicks to the hen. I occasionally buy pullets, and give them to a broody, because my male to female ratio, when hatching, is always high.

If you order eggs, or even buy chicks, check your broody over for lice. Being broody is rough on them, so they don't need pests making it rougher.

Back
Top Bottom