Iowa Blues - Breed thread and discussion

Kari, heck I wasn't born with a lump on my head, but I earned it the hard way -
th.gif
- school of hard knocks and falling down a lot. LOL

Since everyone mentions increasing the size of IABlues I was wondering if the goal is something Australorp sized? Mainly because I just inherited some Aussies so it's an easy basic visual check. They are definitely larger than my IABlues!

Curt, I learned *so much* from the newsletter. I liked that it was a PDF too, more flexibility in reading devices.

The article that explained/compared APA, SPPA, and LC was fascinating, at least for a newbie. : ) I'd never heard of the SPPA, and hadn't ever thought of the relationship between APA and LC. The goals and timeline for the Club and APA approval really helped kind of visualize what the future holds in terms of tasks. And I always like to read about different breeding strategies. Even if I haven't divided my first birds into their breeding pens yet!

I know we discussed the online poultry show in Nov, but what about a section comparing/contrasting a good IA and a better IA? Or even what traits distinguish an IA from another breed or two. With pictures. Maybe that's geared towards the more novice breeder/shower, but that's kind of me. A first installment could be simply showing the best view of a chicken to try to get a photo of in order to do some preliminary evaluation! And maybe tips to do it that don't involve stalking your flock all over the place - or maybe you have to! Tips for photographing poultry might encourage us to practice and then we'd have more to send you too. Lol.

Can't wait to read the member focus pieces and get to know people with like birds. That'll be fun!

Great Ideas! I'll be sure to incorporate these into the next edition of the newsletter. Awesome stuff there. Keep it coming!

Since everyone mentions increasing the size of IABlues I was wondering if the goal is something Australorp sized? Mainly because I just inherited some Aussies so it's an easy basic visual check. They are definitely larger than my IABlues!
Historically, the Iowa Blues were reported to be fairly decent sized birds. The ones I originally started with dressed out at 1.5 - 3.5 lbs, VERY tiny. It really took adding in the Sandhill bloodline to build it up. My Silver cock bird Bentley(Denny Johnston) is about 8 lbs now, and my Smokey, Cadillac, (Curt Burroughs/Sandhill) was pushing 9 before he got frost bit. Their offspring this summer dressed out about 4 - 5.5 lbs. They do take a little longer to grow out though, but that is typical of heritage breeds.

Kari, how much do your pullets weigh on average? I have a few 7 month olds that seem very light (I'm not a good judge of weight, I would have to put them on a scale to tell for sure) and would like an idea of what other's birds are currently. Are they as big as ye SOP calls for?

How is a good way for a newbie to guestimate the weight of their birds? I know size isn't very accurate due to fluffying feathers etc. But not sure how to properly weigh a live bird to find out... They don't have very good stand-stays.

LOL! It might give them a heart attack, but it looks easier than what I do, which is wrap them in a towel and put them in one of those fabric grocery totes.
No, most of my females are pretty small still. I do have some older hens that are about 6 lbs.

Back
Top Bottom