Is a Rollie Polly / isopod infestation okay in a big chicken coop?

Fangeddeer

Songster
Apr 23, 2023
My chicken coop has a big Rollie Polly infestation but it’s mostly those flat back ones instead of the common Rollie Polly’s everyone plays with- yet, I have some of those too. I think it’s fine, since they’re a good snack for my flock (that I know of)

But Is it okay? They only come out at night n don’t bug with the food.

My chicken coop has a big Rollie Polly infestation but it’s mostly those flat back ones instead of the common Rollie Polly’s everyone plays with- yet, I have some of those too. I think it’s fine, since they’re a good snack for my flock (that I know of)

But Is it okay? They only come out at night n don’t bug with the food.
I never heard of those so had to look it up. Apparently, ducks love to eat them but mostly chickens don't. They sounded harmless. I found a thread on here discussing them.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/can-i-feed-my-chickens-rollie-pollies.656838/

Rolly pollies / isopods are completely harmless to chickens. Some chickens eat them, some don’t. I don’t think it’s a problem if yours do.

I have heard mixed things about them being an issue in gardens, but at the end of the day they are mostly scavengers, some are carnivorous but they are not a predator or pest. They don’t suck blood or bite or have any offensive-defense mechanisms, but as scavengers at least some will consume dead flesh.

I actually have thousands of them as “pets” living amongst the live plants and soil of my gecko’s tank. They eat the gecko poop and help break down organics like dead foliage, and they will eat mold and things like that as well.

I get them in my pigeon loft from time to time, usually shoved in the cracks of the door after it rains. They don’t do anything except eat some of the pigeon poop and maybe some of the spilled food, but I’ve never ever seen them in the feeder or specifically trying to eat their food.

I’d say a bigger cause for concern is what’s causing the infestation of them rather than the isopods themselves. Most but not all tend to prefer a very damp environment, such as under logs or stones, so I am curious if you are having a moisture issue in the coop. Hope this helps :)

Back
Top Bottom