Is a Serama's crow as loud as others?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SunshineSteedFarm, Sep 26, 2009.

1. SunshineSteedFarm

SunshineSteedFarm Seramatching Equestrian

Aug 18, 2009
    Georgia
    I was wanting to start a small trio of breeding chickens, but I was looking for a breed that has a softer crow. I have heard Seramas and it seems like they have a more higher squeakier crow. Would their crowing be a nuisance to neighbors? Or are they not loud enough?

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Our couple of Serama's are just as noisy as the big roos. A bit higher pitched. Will depend on how close your neighbors are and if they like chickens. Of the 17 roosters we have, the quietest one is our Wheaten OEG. But it is all going to depend on the bird itself.

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Ours are pretty noisey too. It is more of a Errrrrrrrrrr ER ErrrrrrrrrrrrrK kind of sound instead of a longer deeper crow.....

4. kdcrws

kdcrws Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    L.C. FL
    yeah we call our little guy a squeaky toy [​IMG] he crows quite a bit but it's higher pitched and shorter than a big roo's

5. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Not as loud as the d'Uccle I heard the other day! He could BELLOW!

6. KittyKelly

KittyKelly Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Central KY
    BluegrassSeramas has a line of "squeaky" rooster seramas. They are very quiet. You should ask her about it. One of the squeaky roos is Mr. Wonderful. You can hear him crow on youtube.

7. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    If what they sound like is important to you, get one that is already crowing, so you can hear what it sounds like. A couple of mine have really butchered up, garbledy, raspy crows! Tell you the truth, the best sounding crow comes from out my neighbor's window in the morning (she has no chickens)! [​IMG]

8. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Quote:Do you have a link to it? I want to hear!

9. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
  10. KittyKelly

KittyKelly Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Central KY
    Quote:Thanks for postin that! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by