Is an oil coated board dangerous?

catdaddy66

Songster
10 Years
Nov 18, 2009
Lugoff, SC
I have a 3/4" 4'x8' plywood board that has soaked up oil when it was stored. If this is used for a wall on my coop is it actually or potentially harmful to my flock? The oil has completely penetrated the wood and can be smelled up to 5' away. I know that it keeps water from penetrating the wood but is it toxic to the birds? If so I won't use it.

I hate to be needy but we are in construction mode today and need (hope?!) for an answer quickly so we can use it or not. I know that BYC'ers are gonna come to the aid of a fellow chicken rancher!

idunno.gif
caf.gif

Quote:
"can be smelled 5' away" is a big red flag IMHO. Chickens' respiratory systems are fairly sensitive, and petroleum fumes aint good for you. Plus, if it has that much vapor coming off it in (presumably) the open air, it is likely to be worse if used for a coop wall.

I sure wouldn't.

At MOST I might use it for a windbreak on one side of an otherwise-totally-open run; but even for that, I dunno.

Sorry, JMHO, good luck, have fun,

Pat

the oil smell/fumes could be sealed in with oil based primer (Kilz). But I wouldn't put that in a coop either. And the Kilz would be more $ than a piece of plywood.

I agree and it won't go near the birds. I did not even think about the respiratory needs of the birds and how important it is for their health. My brother and cousin asked me about this issue when I brought the board home. Oh, well! It will be used for something other than my chickens. Thanks so much for your quick answers!

Back
Top Bottom