Is animal control gonna do anything?

Moochie

Songster
9 Years
Nov 8, 2010
North Edwards
I have sent a complaint to my county's animal control about this one neighbor, whose cat is coming near my yard in my morning.. And today I found two of my young silkies with chick fuzz ripped off their faces. Now I can tolerate a cat going to the LF, but when you mess with my babies, you mess with me! Poor darlings were flighty and one had a swollen face. How painful and scary it must have been for them!
hit.gif

It didn't finish them off so it couldn't have been a dog or a coyote, and no, raccoons are not where I am. Maybe in the mountainous areas about 50 or so miles away, but not in this desert. I have a pair of OEGBs in the enclosure the silkies were originally in, but the OEGBs are overly agressive to the silkies so I've been letting them free-range with 2 hens, a silkie roo, and some ducks.
This neighborhood is usually a peaceful place, I don't get why people moved to a small farming community and don't care that their cat is a danger to my chickens. Ergh.
rant.gif

I do have a chicken guard dog. But silly Bruno is in his teenage stage right now and I don't quite trust him yet with youngins unsupervised. I just really hope that animal control will atleast tell them "hey, keep your pets on your own property or else there's gonna be an issue".

There usually aren't any regulations about cats. We don't have animal control here at all, except when people get fed up with stray pets, they shoot them. It's pitiful. But if it actually killed a chicken, u could justifiably shoot it. Or else, keep the chickens in unless you are there. Sorry about your chickens.

Do a search on your city ordinances for what the laws are pertaining to cats. In my community, cats are allowed outside but if they leave my property and cause damage to a neighbor's livestock/property, I am liable. Also, if I find any animal on my property causing damage to my pets/livestock, I have the right to use fatal force to control them. But each city's laws are different, so the answer to whether or not animal control will do anything will depend on what laws are in place in the first place.

That doesn't really sound like cat to me, but I would guess animal control isn't going to do much about it. The rule is if you don't want other animals in your area you are required to fence and take precautions not the other way around. Poor little babies.

Quote:
I have a fence. What would have just pulled feathers? Even if it isn't a cat, I still don't want other people's animals on or near my yard. It's enough with these darn people who walk so close to my backyard making my dogs go nutso. Even with a wooden fence my dogs manage to bark at the people. Eh.

We are moving the chickens and ducks to the backyard and the dogs to the front when the weather cools down, until then precautions have already been made. It would be alot of work to create a frontyard sized run that would only be up for a week or so. Frontyard sized because one half of my frontyard (divided by a driveway) has over 25-30 chickens, while the other half has 13 ducks, and 14 chickens.

Quote:
I have a fence. What would have just pulled feathers?

civet cat( ringtail cat) , spotted skunk

Even if it isn't a cat, I still don't want other people's animals on or near my yard. It's enough with these darn people who walk so close to my backyard making my dogs go nutso. Even with a wooden fence my dogs manage to bark at the people. Eh.

Last edited:
Quote:
I have a fence. What would have just pulled feathers?

civet cat( ringtail cat) , spotted skunk

Even if it isn't a cat, I still don't want other people's animals on or near my yard. It's enough with these darn people who walk so close to my backyard making my dogs go nutso. Even with a wooden fence my dogs manage to bark at the people. Eh.

Ringtail cats are rare and I have never seen a skunk out here. Ringtail cats are supposed to be in this area, but I have only seen one once. In my whole life that I have been here. It's possible but unlikely. Just like it's possible a desert hobo could have done this to my chickens but unlikely.

Back
Top Bottom