Is bumble foot common? Worried about rooster!

Hi guys!! It hasn't happened yet, I'm going to wait for the weekend. But then again I might not wait, I'm just waiting to get him close enough. If not I need a helper and Ill have to wait for the weekend. I'm glad you all are rooting for me lol its giving me the extra confidents I so much need :fl

Can bumble foot mimic a leg injury? My rooster has hurt his leg or sprained it about 3 weeks ago, he stumbles often or seems clumsy. He is a very healthy roosters, I can't imagine him having bumble foot, he lives in a very clean area, but I guess that doesn't necessarily cause bumble foot. He is huge and attacks so it's going to be a challenge just to catch him to look at his feet. Do I need to check all my chickens feet monthly or what? I'm a newbie . Thanks!

I actually check weekly when I do a full clean on coop. You will have to check to see if has a sore with redness on feet. I do a full body check at this time head to toe making sure no eye ear nose drainage or swelling. Breathing normal. No sores. No signs of pecking or frostbite on body. Normal weight and activity. Eating drinking well during feeding times. No lethargy. Combs and wattles normal color no swelling. Stools normal grey white soft formed. No signs of lice mites or other pests. Feathering normal with no bare spots. Vent normal.

There are 4 "forms" of Marek's. The one that affects the eyes is called Ocular form.
Marek's can affect the eyes, nervous system, skin and internal organs.

The balance issues are a bit concerning, but if he's been clumsy for a long time, then that may just be the way he is - since he was dumped over 3 yrs ago.

Sometimes a break/sprain can be hard to tell, but yes...check for heat, swelling, etc in his legs. Chickens are warm (at least to me) so you would want to compare the good leg to the bad.
Ok thank you so much! I hope it's not Marek's. I would be devastated, I really do love my chickens! No one understands it and I surprised myself over how much I adore and enjoy these chickens of mine. I'll try to get that video tomorrow! He has always been a very clumsy boy :rolleyes: hopefully he checks out fine. I read I can call my local extension office (whatever that is) to see if we have Marek's in our area?

Ok thank you so much! I hope it's not Marek's. I would be devastated, I really do love my chickens! No one understands it and I surprised myself over how much I adore and enjoy these chickens of mine. I'll try to get that video tomorrow! He has always been a very clumsy boy :rolleyes: hopefully he checks out fine. I read I can call my local extension office (whatever that is) to see if we have Marek's in our area?
You should be able to call your local Ag Extension office and they can tell you what illnesses are prevalent in your area.
If he's been clumsy the whole 3 years, then I would say he probably doesn't have Marek's.

Look forward to the video:)

Back
Top Bottom