Is bumble foot common? Worried about rooster!

Pics

shannon84

Crowing
7 Years
Jun 1, 2016
Indiana
Can bumble foot mimic a leg injury? My rooster has hurt his leg or sprained it about 3 weeks ago, he stumbles often or seems clumsy. He is a very healthy roosters, I can't imagine him having bumble foot, he lives in a very clean area, but I guess that doesn't necessarily cause bumble foot. He is huge and attacks so it's going to be a challenge just to catch him to look at his feet. Do I need to check all my chickens feet monthly or what? I'm a newbie . Thanks!

Can bumble foot mimic a leg injury? My rooster has hurt his leg or sprained it about 3 weeks ago, he stumbles often or seems clumsy. He is a very healthy roosters, I can't imagine him having bumble foot, he lives in a very clean area, but I guess that doesn't necessarily cause bumble foot. He is huge and attacks so it's going to be a challenge just to catch him to look at his feet. Do I need to check all my chickens feet monthly or what? I'm a newbie . Thanks!

I actually check weekly when I do a full clean on coop. You will have to check to see if has a sore with redness on feet. I do a full body check at this time head to toe making sure no eye ear nose drainage or swelling. Breathing normal. No sores. No signs of pecking or frostbite on body. Normal weight and activity. Eating drinking well during feeding times. No lethargy. Combs and wattles normal color no swelling. Stools normal grey white soft formed. No signs of lice mites or other pests. Feathering normal with no bare spots. Vent normal.

If your roo is difficult to catch, then take him from the roost after dark, they are usually much calmer then. If he struggles then wrap him in a towel to hold his wings in while you check his feet. Check bottom and top of foot, between toes, check the nails, check feet and legs for any swelling. It's always a good idea to do regular checks on them, as the previous poster said. How often will be whatever you are comfortable with in keeping them healthy. Every one of mine gets a visual check every morning, and those that need a closer look for any reason are noted and done, either at that time, or off the roost that night if they are a difficult one to handle. That is usually when I do spur trims also. I have one roo that is easy to catch and handle and one that I can only get off the roosts at night.

I actually check weekly when I do a full clean on coop. You will have to check to see if has a sore with redness on feet. I do a full body check at this time head to toe making sure no eye ear nose drainage or swelling. Breathing normal. No sores. No signs of pecking or frostbite on body. Normal weight and activity. Eating drinking well during feeding times. No lethargy. Combs and wattles normal color no swelling. Stools normal grey white soft formed. No signs of lice mites or other pests. Feathering normal with no bare spots. Vent normal.
Oh my gosh, I don't know what to look for on half those things you mentioned, like vent, lice . I think need some books :barnie I'll check them over really good tomorrow, I do have a fat hen that's about 3 or 4 and she's had severe runny poo her entire life, but that's another issue ugh. But I looked at pictures on the internet, I guess I know what to look for. It's just stressful catching him BC he attacks and I'm scared he'll injury his leg again. I guess I'll have to do it super early while he is roosting?

If your roo is difficult to catch, then take him from the roost after dark, they are usually much calmer then. If he struggles then wrap him in a towel to hold his wings in while you check his feet. Check bottom and top of foot, between toes, check the nails, check feet and legs for any swelling. It's always a good idea to do regular checks on them, as the previous poster said. How often will be whatever you are comfortable with in keeping them healthy. Every one of mine gets a visual check every morning, and those that need a closer look for any reason are noted and done, either at that time, or off the roost that night if they are a difficult one to handle. That is usually when I do spur trims also. I have one roo that is easy to catch and handle and one that I can only get off the roosts at night.
OK, thanks! Oh this one needs a muzzle too, his bite hurts almost as bad as his spurs. I honestly had no idea that chickens needed checked that often. I guess I just always looked for changes in the way they act or their combs for paleness. Kinda stressful not knowing what all needs looked at or what's considered normal. Thank you for the much needed tips!!

What everyone else says is true.

It might be best to get rid of him if your scared to check him over. Most people here have Rooster Dumplings asap once they are attacked. Just a suggestion, you don't have to do it. Also please don't feel insulted or have your feelings hurt. This is a spoiler!!!

Is this the one that attacked your broom then went off limping a while back?
I do wonder if he sprained/fractured/broke something....

You will need to get a hold of him and do an examination to determine if he has bumblefoot or not. As suggested, wait until he is roosting, take him from the roost and swaddle him in a towel. Have a helper and take photos of your rooster, his feet, spurs, eyes, etc.

Examine him head to toe to tail and in between. Look at his feet (the bottoms too). While you're at it, check him for lice/mites.

The stumbling and being clumsy? Can you get a video of that, upload it to youtube then provide us a link?
He may have something else going on besides possible injury. Sometimes a disease like Marek's can cause stumbling, he may have poor eyesight or even a vitamin deficiency.

Last but least...if he is attacking you, you have to carry a broom to ward him off, he bits, kicks, etc. then you may need to consider re-homing him with Full Disclosure of behavioral problems or if you are up to it, make a nice dinner.

Is this the one that attacked your broom then went off limping a while back?
I do wonder if he sprained/fractured/broke something....

You will need to get a hold of him and do an examination to determine if he has bumblefoot or not. As suggested, wait until he is roosting, take him from the roost and swaddle him in a towel. Have a helper and take photos of your rooster, his feet, spurs, eyes, etc.

Examine him head to toe to tail and in between. Look at his feet (the bottoms too). While you're at it, check him for lice/mites.

The stumbling and being clumsy? Can you get a video of that, upload it to youtube then provide us a link?
He may have something else going on besides possible injury. Sometimes a disease like Marek's can cause stumbling, he may have poor eyesight or even a vitamin deficiency.

Last but least...if he is attacking you, you have to carry a broom to ward him off, he bits, kicks, etc. then you may need to consider re-homing him with Full Disclosure of behavioral problems or if you are up to it, make a nice dinner.
Yes, its the same rooster....would I know if his leg was sprained or broken by heat in the leg or swelling? I was reading up on Marek's and his eyes have no grey look to them, not sure if that's a symptom that's always present with that disease? I will definitely video him! I'm his only hope for a home I think. He is not a free range chicken, he gets supervised free time on nice days though. He was dropped off in our woods 3 years ago. I'm assuming because of his aggression. Is mereks deadly?

Back
Top Bottom