Is it ALV? What do I do now?

Jennifer00O

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2022
We have had 10 chickens die in the last 3 months. The vet kept saying it wasn’t viral and that they died of (kidney, reproductive issues)
I was finally able to get a necropsy, after begging multiple times. After they called to say it was lymphoma and again not contagious.
Please help! I am ordering tests for ALV tomorrow. But I have some pullets who haven’t been put outside yet. How do I disinfect the coop?

04BED4BA-4062-430D-AF83-C7C8DC7F41EF.jpeg

Attachments

• 8BBA49AA-25E2-409D-8D4B-0FC50740DADF.jpeg
    8BBA49AA-25E2-409D-8D4B-0FC50740DADF.jpeg
    455 KB · Views: 9
My flock has ALV or LL. Lymphoid leucosis. Mainly chickens directly exposed to dander from an infected chicken with active symptoms will be vulnerable. Or chicks hatched from a hen carrying the virus. These usually die at hatch, within a few months of hatch. Other chicks hatched outside my flock almost always develop resistance and live normal lives.

Were these chickens that died under one year? Were they bought from a private breeder or from a chicken swap meet? If so, they were likely infected vertically in the egg from an infected hen. Or did you hatch eggs from a private breeder?

Did they have any lameness going on before they died? This occurs mostly in Marek's, but it can also present in LL, too.

If the test confirms LL, it's not the end of the world. Any existing chickens already have been exposed. If they originated from the same source as the ones that died, then they probably are doomed, also. If they are from a source such as a hatchery, they will likely be fine as chickens develop resistance if healthy.

My flock has ALV or LL. Lymphoid leucosis. Mainly chickens directly exposed to dander from an infected chicken with active symptoms will be vulnerable. Or chicks hatched from a hen carrying the virus. These usually die at hatch, within a few months of hatch. Other chicks hatched outside my flock almost always develop resistance and live normal lives.

Were these chickens that died under one year? Were they bought from a private breeder or from a chicken swap meet? If so, they were likely infected vertically in the egg from an infected hen. Or did you hatch eggs from a private breeder?

Did they have any lameness going on before they died? This occurs mostly in Marek's, but it can also present in LL, too.

If the test confirms LL, it's not the end of the world. Any existing chickens already have been exposed. If they originated from the same source as the ones that died, then they probably are doomed, also. If they are from a source such as a hatchery, they will likely be fine as chickens develop resistance if healthy.
So they cannot get it from drinking or feces? Oh I hope so! The first 6 that died were older than a year. But the last 4 that have died were all chicks from the same breeder and all the same breed (cream legbar). I got other breeds from her that are the same age and no issues. They had all just turned 4 months when they started dying. Their eyes start to half close and they pass within a few days. No lameness and all were supposed to be vaccinated for Mareks (I know that does not stop it)

If all the chickens that died are from the same breeder, then they were all infected as embryos in the eggs from a hen that carries the virus. The big problem with LL is that most chickens that carry the virus show no symptoms because they have developed resistance. So the breeder gets the notion there is nothing wrong. Then the infected hen lays eggs and the virus gets passed into the egg. This isn't true of Marek's. So it's very likely these chickens had LL not Marek's.

LL is still a very contagious virus. It can be passed from feces and feather dander which mixes into the dirt of the run. All your chickens have been exposed to it. But usually, chicks not exposed to it as babies will develop resistance and never get sick.

The safest way to build a flock is to buy chicks from a commercial hatchery, not a backyard breeder.

If all the chickens that died are from the same breeder, then they were all infected as embryos in the eggs from a hen that carries the virus. The big problem with LL is that most chickens that carry the virus show no symptoms because they have developed resistance. So the breeder gets the notion there is nothing wrong. Then the infected hen lays eggs and the virus gets passed into the egg. This isn't true of Marek's. So it's very likely these chickens had LL not Marek's.

LL is still a very contagious virus. It can be passed from feces and feather dander which mixes into the dirt of the run. All your chickens have been exposed to it. But usually, chicks not exposed to it as babies will develop resistance and never get sick.

The safest way to build a flock is to buy chicks from a commercial hatchery, not a backyard breeder.
Should I test the rest of the flock for it?

It aounds like Mareks disease, but could be lymphoid leukosis virus. It sounds like your vet is going to give a final diagnosis at some time. If it is Mareks, everyone is already exposed and carrying the virus. LL usually occurs after 4 months of age. Mareks may occur earlier. Here are some articles about both diseases:
http://csu-cvmbs.colostate.edu/Documents/vdl-mareks-disease-fact-sheet.pdf

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/neoplasms/lymphoid-leukosis-in-poultry

It aounds like Mareks disease, but could be lymphoid leukosis virus. It sounds like your vet is going to give a final diagnosis at some time. If it is Mareks, everyone is already exposed and carrying the virus. LL usually occurs after 4 months of age. Mareks may occur earlier. Here are some articles about both diseases:
http://csu-cvmbs.colostate.edu/Documents/vdl-mareks-disease-fact-sheet.pdf

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/neoplasms/lymphoid-leukosis-in-poultry
Thank you! None have shown the any other Mareks symptoms, which I know is not uncommon. I would think though that the others I purchased from the same breeder, one of them would get sick too but it's only these 4 lately. Mareks and ALV are so close it's hard to tell.

We have had 10 chickens die in the last 3 months.
Sorry for your loss and experience. :(

They had all just turned 4 months when they started dying. Their eyes start to half close and they pass within a few days. No lameness and all were supposed to be vaccinated for Mareks
Sounds like possible coccidiosis.

Back
Top Bottom