Is it just me?

That was really helpful....
No, the way to deal with it taking 30 seconds to type in a 10 second post is to compose off-line, then cut-n-past.
ive been having the same problem for a while using IE and its always the same adverts. It causes IE to crash all the time especially if you try to stop them. I wont buy advanced membership as I have no guarantee that it will fix the problem. Like you I use other forums and this is the only one that causes a problem.

the advert is full of code mistakes errors and warnings.

Quote: Glad to hear I'm not nuts! It's happening right now as all these silly ads load. I can't even scroll down the page to type this reply until they get done loading. Right now, the right side bar is full of "reviews" about something and I can't even tell what.
I actually like this Forum software, but all the extraneous junk on each page interferes with the main experience.

Not sure whether this is your version (I don't use chrome), but if you change your settings for flash content to "click to play" videos won't run until you click on them. If it's not where this article says, have a scout around.

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/enable-click-to-play-for-chrome-plug-ins/#!

EDIT: I recently found out how to do it for my browser because my browser was having trouble with videos, but I don't remember whether it was this site that made me look at how to disable it.

Last edited:
Not sure whether this is your version (I don't use chrome), but if you change your settings for flash content to "click to play" videos won't run until you click on them. If it's not where this article says, have a scout around.

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/enable-click-to-play-for-chrome-plug-ins/#!

EDIT: I recently found out how to do it for my browser because my browser was having trouble with videos, but I don't remember whether it was this site that made me look at how to disable it.
I'll check that out. Thing is it happens here when I switch to FireFox, also. So it's not just a Chrome issue. Right now there is some Japaanese video playin in the right sidebar and as I type, I get a dozen keystrokes ahead of what's printing in the text box. Hence the typing errors you see.
I just found a button on the ad thata says, "Never see video ads", and clicked it. Slight improvement, but not much. Now there are just cycling banner ads slowing things down.

Quote: I don't think it's a Flash issue either. Mozilla is at war with Adobe, trying to "kill" Flashplayer in favor of HTML-5. So virtually all FlashPlayer scripts are blocked in FF. I switched to Chrome because I couldn't play over half the video I watch using FireFox. I've uninstalled and reinstalled FlashPlayer more times than I can remember. FireFox says it has a new FP plug-in, but as soon as it's installed, they disable it. That's happened 3 times in as many months.
Users like you and me are at the mercy of software vendor in-fighting, or mercenary interests who know cyber ads are the latest and greatest sales gimmick.

I don't think it's a Flash issue either.
hmmm, if it was an issue with the ad server, you'd think more would have the same problem.

(I looked up my log, I disabled my automatic video player because of video ads on a different site - BUT that also slowed my browser to a crawl. I've been a happy camper since I turned it off)

I found a way to block Java script for this site only. We'll see how that works for awhile. Having no problems entering this post.

Ah..but all access to special formatting, uploading photos, etc. went away. Only feature now is RAW text entry.

Last edited:
I've been having real problems with this too. I'm really not tech savvy at all but often it takes me 20 mins to type something that should take 2. Other times like now, it's absolutely fine. I assumed it was a problem with my computer although I don't have problems with other sites/forums, so I'm relieved to read this thread and figure out what the problem is. I hadn't twigged that the video ads were causing the slowness but that makes perfect sense.

Can anyone tell me in very simple steps how to disable/block java script for this site only..... I assume it can be re enabled as and when I want to add a photo.... although that is very seldom.

Thanks Barbara

PS. I know of at least one other person who is having the same problem and I am sure there are many others that just never thought to complain. I love this site but this has become an increasingly frequent problem in recent weeks and I've been really frustrated by it.

Back
Top Bottom