Is it possible to potty train a quail?

:confused: was his ?

I didn't see him attacking anyone personally or addressing anyone in particular. He just made a point on how unnecessary he thinks diapers for quail are, like hamsterwheels for humans or a self driving suitcase. All he did was using a graphic representation to express his own opinion. :idunno

Wouldn't the bird's butt get super gross if they had a diaper on? Do you have to wash them?

I guess if you left it on all day and didn’t clean it yes 🤷‍♀️

Mine only has his on for about 20 minutes when he comes indoors, I know some people don’t mind bird poop on their carpets but I sure don’t want it on mine hence why he wears it. For the rest of the time he’s outside and doesn’t have one on.

Last edited:
I had a indoor Japanese quail and yes the poop is amazing like every 2-5 mins. We had to eventually let him go. But he hated the diaper he would flip out but u could try it. Also try semi fermented feed and acv in the water. He seemed to poop less and we could take him out for short times. I eventually only played with him in the bathroom so easy wipe up and you can use the fan for the ceacal!

There was a big study done at a university in Texas on training Coturnix quail to pick out colors, shapes and count, somewhere there is a video of all this and they indeed learned how to do all of these things. Pretty amazing stuff

If anyone ever comes across this video, please share the link! These little dinosaurs' minds are so different from ours, yet so interestingly complex.

Also, @TwoCrows, you are amazing. If you ever decide to host an online class on quail/bird training, count me as the first to sign up.

I haven't potty trained Scrappy, my pet Japanese Quail, and he doesn't wear a diaper either. However he doesn't poop when being cuddled and handled and gets fidgety to tell me when he has to go... Except when on people he doesn't like as much. :p Never pooped on me, but he has pooped on my BF.

Also quail are surprisingly smart and easy to teach tricks, though their attention span is incredibly short and difficult to maintain at times.
ezgif-6-9bed0001d2b8.gif
ezgif-5-8bcede4b2f0d.gif
ezgif-5-9b0e5d3df02e.gif

Plus, to me, quail poop is incredibly easy to just pick up with a tissue and then toss in the toilet, unlike chicken poop which is a lot messier and less easy to clean up.

I haven't potty trained Scrappy, my pet Japanese Quail, and he doesn't wear a diaper either. However he doesn't poop when being cuddled and handled and gets fidgety to tell me when he has to go... Except when on people he doesn't like as much. :p Never pooped on me, but he has pooped on my BF.

Also quail are surprisingly smart and easy to teach tricks, though their attention span is incredibly short and difficult to maintain at times.
View attachment 2259649View attachment 2259650View attachment 2259652
Plus, to me, quail poop is incredibly easy to just pick up with a tissue and then toss in the toilet, unlike chicken poop which is a lot messier and less easy to clean up.
O.O natural potty trained scrappy good quail so cute

Back
Top Bottom