Is it possible to tell the difference between male and female chicks?

|Aphrodite|

In the Brooder
Dec 16, 2017
We recently got 8 new chicks from coastal, and I got one the same breed as my beloved chicken, who has sadly died from a dog attack. I got three of that breed, and I want to name one after my hen, but I can’t tell the difference yet, so is there any way to tell the gender when chicks haven’t grown in their feathers yet?

It depends. Some breeds, yes. Some chickens are crosses designed specifically so that you can tell their gender at hatch, called red sex links and black sex links. Some breeds are autosexing, like cream legbars, and you can also tell the genders apart at hatch. And some colors allow you to differentiate the males and females by certain markings, such as can be done in welsummers and barred rocks. What breed are your chicks?

It depends. Some breeds, yes. Some chickens are crosses designed specifically so that you can tell their gender at hatch, called red sex links and black sex links. Some breeds are autosexing, like cream legbars, and you can also tell the genders apart at hatch. And some colors allow you to differentiate the males and females by certain markings, such as can be done in welsummers and barred rocks. What breed are your chicks?
I got wyandotte bantams

By a month old they might be giving you hints (bigger, pinker combs on the boys who may also be sporting wattles by then) and by 6 weeks you should have a pretty good idea of who is who.

Back
Top Bottom