Is it safe for my chickens to eat these berries?

Kalve92

In the Brooder
Sep 10, 2022
Is it safe for my chickens to eat these berries? I’ve seen wild birds eat them but have no idea what kind of plant this even is any ideas? Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 111
DEEP roots, and comes back every year, a miserable plant! And every year I swear that 'this year I'll get it all out', and every year it doesn't happen!
It's attractive, actually, but not helpful, and at least our birds and horses don't eat it.
This year it's been about the poison hemlock that we have everywhere, a much nastier plant.
Mary

Last year, when i found the article on here...
I was using it at the time for dying my home made paper.
I saw some wild birds eating it and was curious if my chickens could eat it.
They never did.

Many years ago, my grandmother used to tell me how she would boil the green leaves for my daddy and his siblings every year, at the end of summer, the week before school started back...
LoL.
She said
"We hafta git all dem worms out they system".
Glad it wasnt me!!

Is it safe for my chickens to eat these berries? I’ve seen wild birds eat them but have no idea what kind of plant this even is any ideas? Thanks!
Right off the bat i could instantly tell its pokeweed. Also reffered to as “Snakeberries” by some of my close neighbors.

No. Don’t let them tempt you into it. Its not good if they have a lot of it.

If you have any other questions ask away. Ive been researching herbs and many wild plants for years.

Also, small warning, many people have allergic reactions to the plant so do be careful.

I have this in my pasture. In small quantity, its fine. Assuming your birds have other food available, there is no danger.

The birds will likely avoid it, apart from the ripe red berries - which are a favorite of wild birds, and are safe enough for your chickens. The good news is that its relatively easy to remove - which you want to do, because it spreads pretty aggressively. Wear gloves.

Back
Top Bottom