Is it silly I made my hen a rain "coat" 😂

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
I have an old hen, Starbust, who has to be between 6-8. I don't know for sure, because she wasn't my hen originally. Our friend gave her to us about 5 years ago when she was at the end of her laying span, so I am just guessing her age.

Anyway, her and a few other old ladies hang to with our ducks so the rooster doesn't beat them up, and there isn't a real coop in there. The ducks "coop" or secure night area is just a wire outdoor dog run wrapped in hardware cloth. Its not super dry, but there is a plastic dog kennel in there for some shelter. We are building a real coop in the spring that will have walls and such, so they just have to survive the we season.

She's always getting wet, I don't think she uses the kennel, but I have an old ripped rain coat, so I used a chicken saddle pattern, and then the rain coat to make a waterproof saddle for her, which I am working on attaching wing covers, tail cover, and a "hood" to, to keep her dry! Lol! I can post pictures tomorrow in the day light, its pretty funny and adorable! 😂 I think she appreciates it though!

I would be highly concerned about covering her feathers in waterproof, non-breathable material. Trapping moisture under the feathers and preventing her from being able to preen can't be healthy for her skin. :(

Better to use the old raincoat as the cover on a more waterproof shelter in the pen.
I am not going to have it on her constantly, only when its raining really hard outside. I will dry her off really well before I put it on, thanks for the tips!
I understand the concern, I will be careful. Thank you!

Think my brownie would appreciate one as u can see she not very impressed by rain 😂😂 cant wait to see pics
Sam xx

Attachments

• 20201004_102923.jpg
    20201004_102923.jpg
    443.1 KB · Views: 15
Sorry for the absence of pics! I had to make a bunch of adjustments to it, but after that never got the chance to put it on. She hated it! Lol! She would rather be wet then wearing that thing! Hahahah!
She flung it off every time! 🤣
Oh well! 🤣 You tried.

Back
Top Bottom