Is Mama good or evil?

campchickens

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 8, 2015
Central Virginia
As our chickens are part of outdoor education and summer camp programs, I have tried many different things in the name of science and exploration. I let two of my hens brood but also have an incubator going with several eggs.

One mama was sitting on three eggs. She kicked one out of the nest early in the week, which turned out to have not developed, and was rotting in the intense heat that day. Ok, good mama.

Then, one of the eggs went missing completely, with a little bit of blood? yolk? junk dried up on the last egg. So... cannibal mama.

Then, egg number three hatched this morning! And so far, so good. She's being protective of the chick and not trampling it to death.

The question is: do I trust her from here? We let our adult chickens free range during the day. If mama has figured out what she's doing and let this chick hatch successfully, is she likely to do a reasonable job from here out? I go out to check on her periodically. So far, it doesn't appear they've left the next. Plenty of food and water are nearby.

(If you all think she shouldn't be trusted, I have a brooder set up and ready for the incubator eggs, which I expect to hatch in just a few days.)

She should be fine, but I'd keep an eye on her. I had a hen kick out an egg, eat an egg, and live with the rest of her chicks peacefully for a couple of weeks before she attacked one of them. That chick lived a couple more months before dying.
So, I'd watch her closely. Any signs of aggression, and I'd pull the chick out for safety. Some chickens are great broodies but horrible mamas.
Good luck with whatever you decide!

So far Mama is doing great! I think I need to move them into a box on the ground though... haven't seen them leave yet, and it didn't occur to me that it was a problem for Mama to hatch in a nesting box that's a little bit raised up, to be able to get out and back in with the little chick. I know the chick is probably ok for the first couple of days without food, but want to make sure not to wait too long!

(If you all think she shouldn't be trusted, I have a brooder set up and ready for the incubator eggs, which I expect to hatch in just a few days.)

Are you planning on putting the incubator chicks with her? There is a really good chance she will reject them. If you want to try you could, but watch them closely, and don't be surprised if she kills one or more. They would probably be safer in the brooder.

She continues to surprise me-- mama and chick made it out of the box down into the roosting area, down the ladder and into the yard. She's doing great, and no one is really trying to bother them anyway. Amazing!

Back
Top Bottom