Is my ameraucana chicken a rooster?

Belizafitch96

Hatching
Jun 20, 2021
Hi, I am wondering if anyone can tell me if my ameraucana chicken is a rooster? Her name is Sweetie and my husband and I bought her among others a couple months ago as chicks/pullets. We are new to raising chickens. We have 11 total and we know the odds are likely to having a rooster. He heard crowing one morning around 5 am but was unsure which chicken it came from.

We are suspicious of a couple others but Sweetie often shows signs of being an alpha hen. She's also the biggest/poofiest but I'm not sure if that's just because of her breed. I'd like to mention she's not the greatest of flyers and has a hard time flying up to roost on fences with the other chickens. My husband has had to get on a ladder and help her get up there with her sisters. Anyway, I will attach some pictures of her and any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

20210620-101322.jpg
20210619-203941.jpg
20210619-204012.jpg
Screenshot-20210619-205004-Gallery.jpg
Screenshot-20210619-204945-Gallery.jpg

According to things my daughter has told me, and what I've read, it looks to me like the red chicken on the right in the first picture is developing his wattles, which tells me he's the crowing culprit. However, he doesn't exactly look like an Ameraucana.

Not that I'm an expert by any stretch of the imagination! I've raised Ameraucanas before, but didn't have the problem of having to tell which is which, since they were all lady girls.

Here's an article on telling the sex of chickens:

https://cs-tf.com/how-to-tell-a-rooster-from-a-hen/
That one is a pullet. They also get wattles. They just don't develop as early as a cockerel would.

Hi, I am wondering if anyone can tell me if my ameraucana chicken is a rooster? Her name is Sweetie and my husband and I bought her among others a couple months ago as chicks/pullets. We are new to raising chickens. We have 11 total and we know the odds are likely to having a rooster. He heard crowing one morning around 5 am but was unsure which chicken it came from.

We are suspicious of a couple others but Sweetie often shows signs of being an alpha hen. She's also the biggest/poofiest but I'm not sure if that's just because of her breed. I'd like to mention she's not the greatest of flyers and has a hard time flying up to roost on fences with the other chickens. My husband has had to get on a ladder and help her get up there with her sisters. Anyway, I will attach some pictures of her and any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

20210620-101322.jpg
20210619-203941.jpg
20210619-204012.jpg
Screenshot-20210619-205004-Gallery.jpg
Screenshot-20210619-204945-Gallery.jpg
Age? Other than the suspect the rest appear to be pullets. Atleast the ones in the photos.

Back
Top Bottom