Is my hen ok?

So unfortunately our baby girl passed away last night, I’m so upset & I feel sad for our drake. What can I do to help him since now that he will be alone? I know he needs a mate so should I just order him more mates(ducklings, which I know can’t be with him right away since they’re babies) or should I just go buy more ducks around his age?

I am so sorry. Have you looked on Craigslist you can go with an all drake flock or try and find females sometimes all drake flocks don't work so well but if you could find him at least 3-4 or more females that would be ideal and either his age or older. If you go with ducklings and most hatcheries sell sexed ducklings you'd have to wait till the females are mating age before he could be with them usually around 4 months old But they could live side by side once they are feathered in. That way he would have company but he wouldn't be able to try and mate with them.
Do you have any idea what happened to your female?I know grit was mentioned as a possibility

I am so sorry. Have you looked on Craigslist you can go with an all drake flock or try and find females sometimes all drake flocks don't work so well but if you could find him at least 3-4 or more females that would be ideal and either his age or older. If you go with ducklings and most hatcheries sell sexed ducklings you'd have to wait till the females are mating age before he could be with them usually around 4 months old But they could live side by side once they are feathered in. That way he would have company but he wouldn't be able to try and mate with them.
Do you have any idea what happened to your female?I know grit was mentioned as a possibility
I’m going to just order more ducklings, I have a crate already set up from when my Rouens were babies. My drake is in his pen that my husband made & it’s pretty spacious so I’m going to put the ducklings crate in the pen so that way they can just get familiar with each other without actual physical contact. Unfortunately I think the grit was the reason for her passing😞 she may have just ate too much. I’m very upset & feel so bad she had to go that way & our drake had to witness it. In the meantime waiting for our ducklings to make their way here, can I add a stuffed animal or anything for him to feel a little better?

Put a mirror in with him anytime I have had to bring a chicken or duck inside Having a mirror in with them so they can see another duck helps keep them from getting too depressed. A stuffed animal may help too. But the mirror is the best. Make sure it can't be knocked over.
I am so sorry you lost her. I don't what part of the country your in but if you order ducklings this time of year it may be spring before they would be feathered in enough to be outside with the drake.

Back
Top Bottom