Is my mini pig pregnant??

Pezzy12

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2020
Hello! I have two mini pigs one male one female. Male, Peppa, born on 08/26/19 female, Georgina, born 09/02/19! They have been living together in the same room (kept inside since its been cold out) since they were babies. My female looks chubbier then the male , she is slightly wider and her belly droops down a bit more. Does she look like she could possibly be pregnant? And if so, how far along would she be approximately? I noticed her looking a little chubbier then the male about 3 weeks ago and they eat the same food. She hates being touched so I couldn't get her to flip over sorry the pics aren't great. Her belly doesn't droop all the way to the floor like I've seen in pictures which is why I'm not convinced

Attachments

• thumbnail_Image 2.jpg
    thumbnail_Image 2.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 49
  • thumbnail_Image 3.jpg
    thumbnail_Image 3.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 11
  • thumbnail_Image 4.jpg
    thumbnail_Image 4.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 12
  • thumbnail_Image.jpg
    thumbnail_Image.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 13
The fact that you put an innocent animal down for being agressive when you didn't neuter him from the start and were well aware that could happen is horrible. Even if my male became aggressive I would NEVER EVER kill him. I am VERY aware my male could become agressive but until theres a problem, I am not going to worry about it. If it happens, it happens and I will have to deal with it. But I would never give him away or kill him. I know pigs can get big. I know mini pigs don't always stay small. My post was asking about pregnancy which you didn't mention AT ALL. Please stay on topic and don't push your passive aggressive judgement on me, its not welcome.
I breed pigs for meat. He was eaten. And I did say females don't start cycling until after 8 months. That's the first thing I said.

Females usually go into season at 8+ months so I doubt she's bred.

Boars can be hormonal a holes, especially as they age. Barrows (castrated males) are sweet as pie. I had a hand raised boar from 6 weeks old. Loved belly scratches and everything. Sometime after he turned 3 years old, my sow had given birth and he decided he needed to protect the piglets from me. He tried to seriously hurt me. Luckily I was close to the gate and escaped injury. When we attempted to load him for the butcher, he tried to go after everyone. Something snapped. We had to put him down right there. We did also have an older boar who was perfectly sweet after him. I will never trust a boar again though.

Also, potbellies don't stay small. 150-200 lbs at least. They are mini compared to farm pigs but big in their own right.

Been raising a small breed of pig for years that also has a docile temperment.

No need to get nasty. People will often give their opinions on facts stated whether you ask for them or not. There is no way for us to know what info you already know and what experience you already have... I also know that boars can get nasty. That's a fact. I realize you didnt ask about that, but someone felt you should know just in case.. Don't put others down for their choices in dealing with a nasty boar. The odds of rehoming a dangerous boar are slim to none and irresponsible at best.

I can't see pregnancy in these photos. I see two cute pigs. Is it possible that she's bred? Yes. They can be bred as early as 3 months. An easy way without vetting would be to watch for her heat cycles. She should cycle about every 21 days. If you're not noticing cycles, she's likely bred. In that case, a trip to the vet for an U/S should be in order.

Good luck with your pigs. They're adorable!

Here is a picture of my potbelly pig. He’s a male. Sadly, Hammy is no longer with us, he was the best piggy ever. Does your mini pig have potbelly in her or do you know what type of breeds are mixed in since mini pig isn’t really a breed? Here he was less than a year old and had grown a lot in just one month from when I got him to when I took that picture.
6312A135-B9B9-4CF4-ACF9-71C44E11CDFC.png

I have no idea what their actual breed is but since they are both black I would assume Vietnamese potbelly of some sort but can't ever know for sure

If she has potbelly in her I would imagine that bulge is just part of how they look. But hopefully someone with more experience can chime in.

I would do research on neutering and spaying pigs for the health benefits unless you plan on breeding them. Not sure how much research you did about mini pigs, but pigs reach close to their max size at age 5 (years old) so do watch out for how big they may or may not get if you didn’t see their parents are full age.

If she has potbelly in her I would imagine that bulge is just part of how they look. But hopefully someone with more experience can chime in.

I would do research on neutering and spaying pigs for the health benefits unless you plan on breeding them. Not sure how much research you did about mini pigs, but pigs reach close to their max size at age 5 (years old) so do watch out for how big they may or may not get if you didn’t see their parents are full age.
I am going to breed them several times so will not be fixing either unless it becomes a behavioral problem. I saw the parents , and I did A LOT of research about mini pigs before getting them so I am well aware they could potentially be very large even tho their parents were small. Thank you for your concern, but I do know what I am doing

Back
Top Bottom