Is my rooster going to die?

boltonsue

In the Brooder
Nov 29, 2019
Wilmot Wisconsin
We’ve got 14 hens and one rooster. I’ve never had chickens before so I’m new. My husband built a beautiful huge coop and a huge run. My problem is my ladies are killing? my rooster!! They will not leave him alone. You can totally see his neck on both sides and is heinie looks terrible!! I’m so terrified they’re gonna peck him to death. I’ve put that purple no pick cream on him (didn’t work) and also spray Vetericyn on the wounds. I know it’s not because the space is too small and they’ve got every comfort/toy entertainment stuff we can think of. The thought of him suffering is too much to bear! Please can someone help? Thank you so much!! I just signed up so I could post this question. I LOVE how y’all help each other. Thank you again!

We’ve got 14 hens and one rooster. I’ve never had chickens before so I’m new. My husband built a beautiful huge coop and a huge run. My problem is my ladies are killing? my rooster!! They will not leave him alone. You can totally see his neck on both sides and is heinie looks terrible!! I’m so terrified they’re gonna peck him to death. I’ve put that purple no pick cream on him (didn’t work) and also spray Vetericyn on the wounds. I know it’s not because the space is too small and they’ve got every comfort/toy entertainment stuff we can think of. The thought of him suffering is too much to bear! Please can someone help? Thank you so much!! I just signed up so I could post this question. I LOVE how y’all help each other. Thank you again!
Hello and welcome to BYC!
Can you please post pictures of your rooster (cockerel?) as well as your entire setup and provide dimensions. Lots of people think they have enough space but then it turns out they really don't. Or you may have lots of space but not enough places to hide and/or get out of the line of sight of the dominant birds.
Were all of these birds raised together?
Also, what exactly are you feeding the flock?
Can you update your profile with your general location information as well?
I would not just leave him out with the others in his current state. If it is cold where you are, he should be kept in a large crate in a draft free area the coop until he heals. I would thoroughly clean and disinfect his wounds and apply triple antibiotic ointment then put him in a crate with his own food and water.

Thank you so much for the fast response! So my chicken coop is 8 by 12 which is 96 square feet and the run is 50 feet long by 8 feet wide. I’ll get down there in a bit and try and get some pictures but thank you for the idea of a hiding place. Also we do live in Wisconsin and it’s been a rather cold season thus far. Not sure what to use where he could hide. Maybe a pile of wood? Thank you again so much!

Howdy!! You came to the right place, tons of helpful folks here with boatloads of knowledge! Just curious, are they all the same breed and age? Have they all been together as a flock long? I use Blu-kote for wounds, stuff is amazing.

So they are all the same age. We bought them all on May 23rd this year. They are all different breeds. I think we ordered Easter eggers? Wish I could figure out how to post pictures as I took a bunch yesterday. Checked on him yesterday and he was starting to bleed pretty badly by his bottom so we ran and got an extra large cage and removed him to the garage until he can heal. I also unwittingly discovered he was covered in mites!!!! Almost had a heart attack so I sprinkled DE on bedding on also on him. I did pick up some Blu-Kote yesterday as well. Now I hate having him pulled from the ladies.

So they are all the same age. We bought them all on May 23rd this year. They are all different breeds. I think we ordered Easter eggers? Wish I could figure out how to post pictures as I took a bunch yesterday. Checked on him yesterday and he was starting to bleed pretty badly by his bottom so we ran and got an extra large cage and removed him to the garage until he can heal. I also unwittingly discovered he was covered in mites!!!! Almost had a heart attack so I sprinkled DE on bedding on also on him. I did pick up some Blu-Kote yesterday as well. Now I hate having him pulled from the ladies.
DE will not kill mites, get some permethrin dust or spray.
Your whole flock and maybe the coop will need to be treated.
Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

Neopsporin is better for wounds than BluKote(which will not let you see the status of the wound).

How to post pics is in this list of guides:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3/?prefix_id=3

Oh, and...Welcome to BYC @boltonsue sorry you are having troubles.
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-12-3_8-18-0.png

If it's really cold where you are, use powder on the birds and spray in the coop so the birds don't get chilled, otherwise you need to keep them warm until they dry. Mites can cause anemia and severely weaken your birds, so it's really something to take care of.
More pic's for ID here: https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/
41xLaP0vFqL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom