Is my starlight chicken a rooster?

This thread has been so helpful! I am new here and to chickens. I have 5 SGE (5 Sapphire gems and 2 keets).

3 of the SGE are yellow/cream colored, one is a dark brown splashed, and one lighter tan speckled. The lighter tan has feathered feet and has a larger redder comb than the rest. It seems more out going and always the first to come up to me. Debating if it may be a roo?

Attachments

• 08B1AE15-B014-4A48-9E2C-3480E75A9CC9.png
    08B1AE15-B014-4A48-9E2C-3480E75A9CC9.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 36
This thread has been so helpful! I am new here and to chickens. I have 5 SGE (5 Sapphire gems and 2 keets).

3 of the SGE are yellow/cream colored, one is a dark brown splashed, and one lighter tan speckled. The lighter tan has feathered feet and has a larger redder comb than the rest. It seems more out going and always the first to come up to me. Debating if it may be a roo?
So, since your SGE has feathered feet, I'm going to say it's not an SGE. Those don't have feathered feet. Where did you get the chicks? Sometimes there's a mixup at the feed store, if you got them there. How old is the bird you have pictured? 6-8 wks is usually the soonest you can be sure you have a roo, although some show up sooner.

Here is an update on my two...I'm thinking they are both roosters now 😣. They are a little over 10 weeks...those long tail feathers have me thinking roosters. Pluto is next to one of our barred rocks which is the same age.

Attachments

• 20230625_190636.jpg
    20230625_190636.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
  • 20230625_190623.jpg
    20230625_190623.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
I have three starlight green eggers. Two of my girls have similar coloring and sized combs. My third starlight, Coconut, has white brown splash(?) coloring and a much larger comb. Coconut is also much more likely to square up against the other chickens but overall has a great temperament. They’re about 6 or 7 weeks old from TSC where they were straight run pullets. Based on images we’ve seen, we can’t figure out if Coconut is actually a rooster. Thoughts?
Cockerel for sure

Back
Top Bottom