Is my starlight chicken a rooster?

Wileykilson

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2023
I have three starlight green eggers. Two of my girls have similar coloring and sized combs. My third starlight, Coconut, has white brown splash(?) coloring and a much larger comb. Coconut is also much more likely to square up against the other chickens but overall has a great temperament. They’re about 6 or 7 weeks old from TSC where they were straight run pullets. Based on images we’ve seen, we can’t figure out if Coconut is actually a rooster. Thoughts?

Attachments

• CD8E765F-EC79-45C7-B2C9-5A5637F55FB1.jpeg
    CD8E765F-EC79-45C7-B2C9-5A5637F55FB1.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 618
6-7 weeks old? I’d say cockerel. Not sure about this breed but the red on the wings is male coloring in some breeds. And I THINK I see pointy feathers on the saddle area. Pretty early for that though.
We’ve gone back and forth about the 7 week stamp haha. Definitely thinking they’re older. Thanks for takin a look! :)

I don't know the details to create the starlight Green Eggers, but many hybrids use a combination that causes males to be lighter in color than females. The bird pictured is a cockeral. The comb and waddles are very red for only 7 weeks. The feathering also appears to be male (The feathering looks like he is older than 7 weeks)
They are a hybrid breed! Thanks for sharing, that’s really cool they are lighter! We were crossing our fingers everyone thought he was a hen but it’s not lookin too good for us 😂

Check out Amberlink. Or red-sexlink roosters. Definite cockerel. Not sure it's a starlight green egger, as those are almost always only sold as sexed pullets for their green eggs. That means they would all be girls.

How's it going with your chick? I am in the same boat as I *think* I have Starlight Green Eggers, and I thought they were sex links. No where can you find pictures of what the cockerels look like!? So either the sex linkage is not super clear, or they sent straight runs, or what I have is not a starlight green egger, but he's almost definitely a cockerel at 2.5 weeks.
20230508_161244.jpg

I have a second one from the same batch that I assumed was one of the more red type SGEs, but I'm getting some very strong rooster vibes from that one as well... So now I don't know what to think.

How's it going with your chick? I am in the same boat as I *think* I have Starlight Green Eggers, and I thought they were sex links. No where can you find pictures of what the cockerels look like!? So either the sex linkage is not super clear, or they sent straight runs, or what I have is not a starlight green egger, but he's almost definitely a cockerel at 2.5 weeks.
View attachment 3498574
I have a second one from the same batch that I assumed was one of the more red type SGEs, but I'm getting some very strong rooster vibes from that one as well... So now I don't know what to think.
SGEs are not sex-linked. You may have just gotten (un)lucky and ended up with a rooster or two. Their pullet sexing is only guaranteed at 85% accurate I believe.

Back
Top Bottom