Is she egg bound

Paige still isn't walking, although she occasionally tries to stand up. I am going to try to get her in today to see the vet who knows the most about poultry. It's weird, but Dr. M fills in at both of my small animal and livestock clinics (in towns 20 miles away from each other in opposite directions from where I live). If she can't see Paige, I am at least going to ask if I can pick up some more Meloxicam.

I have a chicken who gets around on one leg (stricture removal that didn't properly healed), but poor Paige can't even stand up. When do I consider that she might never recover?

For me it would be difficult to put a time limit on the healing period. If it is nerve or physical pelvic damage it could be a while. Quality of life is the important thing. As long as she seems to still be having quality of life, I would be tempted to stick with her. Sorry this is taking so long to resolve.

I got three more doses of Meloxicam from Dr. M this a.m. and she suggested massaging Paige's leg, along with everything else I've been doing. If Paige is never going to walk again, that doesn't seem like much of a life. BUT, as long as she might recover, I will keep working with her.

Paige kind of got up on her leg, for a second or so, a couple of times today. I am hopeful that she is getting better. She eats her layer feed and eagerly devours grapes, peas and oatmeal. She was diving in her stock tub and getting clean today (it's Mud City here right now). Paige was even talking this morning; she has been very quiet all week.

Even though her infirmary is adjacent to the duck shelter, she seems to want to be closer. I MAY put one of the other runner hens in with her tomorrow so she isn't lonely.

I ALMOST didn't get through to Dr. M today because she was working at the dog/cat vet clinic, and the receptionist, who is a bit scatterbrained on a good day, didn't think I needed to talk to Dr. M because "we don't take care of ducks here."

I assured her that Dr. M takes care of my ducks (and goats and whatever) when she's working at the Manson vet clinic, which sees livestock.

Sorry there was no Sunday update on Paige, but I was under the weather myself!

She is not laying eggs, but the weather seems to have affected everyone. I was getting five eggs a day from the six ducks, now I'm getting one or two. Likewise, not all the chickens are laying. We had a 90-degree day last week, 2 inches of rain and right now, it's 40 degrees.

I was only outside yesterday long enough to do chores in the a.m. and p.m., but I am a bit more encouraged about Paige's leg. I watched her get upright to preen a bit briefly. She can move herself around a little, but still isn't standing. When I lift her up, she kind of tries to put some weight on that left foot.

Her appetite is good and she continues to talk. I have one dose of Meloxicam to give her today. I have been massaging her leg, as Dr. M. suggested and I am continuing to feed her peas rolled in calcium powder, as well as layer feed, a handful of oatmeal and grapes as treats.

I am cautiously optimistic about Paige. She is making more effort to stand and is at least moving around in the infirmary pen.

She had a little time in the stock tank yesterday and her last dose of Meloxicam. Depending on what I find today, I may call Dr. M and see if she would advise more of the med.

I gave Paige the leftover water from boiled eggs yesterday, since I've read that it contains a fair amount of calcium. She is not yet laying, but yesterday was the first day in more than a week that the others all laid. Her appetite is fine; however, she is showing a real preference for oatmeal, peas and grapes over regular old layer feed.

I, BTW, am feeling better. Thanks for the well wishes.

Back
Top Bottom