Is she egg bound

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Callender Girl, May 12, 2019.

1. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Good updates.

2. Callender Girl

Callender Girl Crowing

Sep 18, 2018
    North Central Iowa
    Paige is making more of an effort to get up on that left leg. It still feels swollen, but I am going to call the vet and see if more Meloxicam is needed or if I can just keep massaging it and giving her calcium powder (no eggs in a week) and peas for niacin.

When it reaches a balmy 60-something today and the sun comes out (two things that haven't happened lately), I will fill her tank with warm water and do more hydrotherapy.

And, she still prefers treats to layer feed. What a (not) surprise.

casportpony and sourland like this.
  3. Callender Girl

Callender Girl Crowing

Sep 18, 2018
    North Central Iowa
    Paige is now able to hobble around a bit, she bounces more than she walks. For a while, one of the other hens laid next to her, on the other side of the fence.

And, Paige is eating layer feed eagerly -- most likely because at $3.28 per pound this week, grapes are not on the menu.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Tough love is good. She thought she had you trained. Sounds as if things are going well for her.

5. quackiemama

quackiemama Crowing

Dec 26, 2018
    MARYLAND
    That is great news. I am glad you both are feeling better. Good job!

casportpony and Callender Girl like this.
  6. Callender Girl

Callender Girl Crowing

Sep 18, 2018
    North Central Iowa
    Paige, BTW, sourland, is far from the only critter out here that has me trained!

I am still seeing improvement, but she isn't walking yet. She is, however, upright more often. And, I am feeding the others right up by her fencing; yesterday, two of the other runner hens began lying down beside her on their side of the fence.

7. Callender Girl

Callender Girl Crowing

Sep 18, 2018
    North Central Iowa
    Paige developed an infection in her leg over the holiday weekend. The vet saw her yesterday and drained three syringes of fluid from the joint. She is on antibiotics for the next week to 10 days.

After the vet visit, she seemed to feel better almost immediately and wanted to get out of her carrier. She is still eating well, talking with the others, preening her feathers and since I put a small dog crate inside their nighttime shelter, she is spending her nights happier with them than when she was next door.

I am hopeful.

casportpony and sourland like this.
  8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    How is she ?

casportpony and Callender Girl like this.
  9. Callender Girl

Callender Girl Crowing

Sep 18, 2018
    North Central Iowa
    Thanks, sourland, for asking about her.

I have started to post a couple of times, but I have been avoiding the topic because I am afraid that people will tell me to put her down. She can't fully use her leg; we just finished the last round of antibiotics and anti-inflammatories today. Last week, the vet and I took turns draining infection out of her leg. It is not swollen, like it was.

She can't run, like a runner duck should. BUT, she can certainly move around. Today, I put her behind a little picket fence -- I've been keeping the boys away from her; she doesn't need them jumping on top of her.

When I looked out to see how everyone was doing, I was shocked to see Paige out by the water dish, several feet away! Not only can she hobble around, but she was smart enough to get past the fence -- which totally puzzled two of the other hen ducks.

She eats, she drinks, she bathes, she preens, she interacts with the other ducks, she pecks at chickens to keep them at bay. BUT, she can't run. She can kind of use her leg for balance, but she can't put weight on it.

I have a soft spot for challenged animals. I have a cochin bantam who sprints with only one leg, a cat born without eyes and used to have a totally deaf rescue dog. IF I think Paige isn't enjoying her life, I won't let her suffer. But when I see her and Claire splashing around during their little pool parties, I can't make myself believe she isn't having a good life.

sourland and casportpony like this.
  10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

I can’t see any reason at all to put her down sounds like she is enjoying her life. Even if she can’t run sounds like she is doing fine!! And your very special for giving the challenged a chance at a wonderful life

quackiemama, LozzyR, sourland and 2 others like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: