Is she egg bound

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Callender Girl, May 12, 2019.

1. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Hopefully the walking will come just keep putting that calcium in her are you putting it in her water too? Right now I’d cover every base.

2. Miss Lydia

Sounds like improvement too that’s awesome!!

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You might want to fill up the bath tub and give her a little 'hydro therapy'. That way she could exercise her legs a bit without putting pressure on them/her hip/her pelvis.

4. DucksOhio

DucksOhio Songster

Oct 17, 2016
    Northeast Ohio
    That’s a great idea.

5. Miss Lydia

:goodpost:

6. Callender Girl

Callender Girl Crowing

Sep 18, 2018
    North Central Iowa
    Paige was very still went I went out this a.m., and I immediately panicked, thinking she might have died overnight. False alarm, of course. She is alive, ate her breakfast, more peas with calcium powder, took her anti-inflammatory, drank water infused with calcium powder (thanks for that suggestion!) but still isn't standing.

It's supposed to get up to 75 degrees today, so I think we will try filling the little stock tank with warm, indoor water, and place it in the infirmary pen for her hydro-therapy. I think it will be less stressful for her to stay outdoors in a familiar place.

casportpony, sourland and Miss Lydia like this.
  7. Miss Lydia

Sounds good and the warm water should warm those leg muscles right up. I am thinking are you also providing any form of niacin to her diet? Maybe some B complex along with the calcium it's wonderful for helping those leg muscles.

casportpony and quackiemama like this.
  8. Callender Girl

Callender Girl Crowing

Sep 18, 2018
    North Central Iowa
    Paige still wasn't walking when I put her to bed last night (It's only 5:30 a.m. here, so I won't know for a while yet how she's doing today; it's still dark out). But, I put her in the water and she paddled around a bit -- and ate peas I'd throw in the water.

I came inside, looked out the window and -- no duck! She was able to lift herself out of the water and was lying by the side of the run. When I picked her up last night, she was trying to put weight on that leg, but it's still not working.

She will get another dose of anti-inflammatory today. Since she "spilled" much of the first dose, I might see if I can get some more and continue one more day.

I have to be in town all day today, so I can pick up some B complex. I have a hard time finding the right niacin here, so I've just been giving her plenty of frozen peas. She has calcium powder in her water, and on the peas, which I partially defrost so the powder will stick to them. She is no longer interested in simply eating the offered oyster shell.

She has not laid another egg, but neither have most of the chickens or the other ducks. Production by everyone has dropped dramatically. I'm thinking it could be the wild swings in weather?

9. Miss Lydia

I wouldn’t leave her in the pool alone since she could injure her self getting out right now. I know you didn’t expect her to get out but we can’t put anything past them. I hope that is a positive improvement though as far as her being able to do that.

10. Callender Girl

Callender Girl Crowing

Sep 18, 2018
    North Central Iowa
    I had just walked into the house for a minute and can see the pool from the windows. But, you're right -- I should KNOW you have to keep your eyes on them all the time.

She's had her meds, has more calcium water, but still isn't walking. She did get upright for a moment this morning, which I take as a good sign.

casportpony and Texas Kiki like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: