Is the DE at Azure Standard Food Grade?

prodds

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 6, 2011
I'm very new to this (won't even have my first chicks for another 2 weeks). I wanted to try the Deep Litter Method in the coop, which requires Food Grade DE. I've seen on here that several people get their DE from Azure Standard. I just talked to the rep on the phone and asked if it was food grade. He said (basically what the website says) that it meets the standards by the FDA as a "filter aid in food processing." So....what does that mean? The pricing from this company seems very good (which kind of makes me nervous). For those of you out there familiar with it - is it food grade? This company sells natural and organic stuff, so I don't see why they would sell the DE for pools, I'm just a nervous newbie! Thanks!
smile.png

P.S. - I'm not looking to start a discussion for or against the use of DE - seems there are plenty of those threads already. I would just like an answer from those of you that use Azure Standard. Thank you all - you've been a great source of info so far!

Just because it is food grade does not mean that its is the type of DE that can be ingested. Unfortunately, i found recently that saying FCC Food grade is not cut and dry. I work with a filtration unit for industrial chemicals and we have been experimenting with DE as a filter aid. The DE we have been using says FCC Food Grade on the bag. However when looking at the MSDS it says it is flux calcined DE. Bad to inhale and ingest. So what I am understanding is that this type of DE is considered "Food Grade" because it meets Food Chemical Codex specifications as far as impurities and that it is manufactured using good manufacturing practices. This type of DE that is labeled FCC Food Grade can be used to filter food products such as juices, wine, beer etc. It comes in contact with food so it must comply with FCC and GMP. The other type (fresh water) not flux calcined but amorphous silica and can be used in foods as a anti caking agent mixing with grain and other powdered ground up foods. So bottom line pay attention to what you are buying and if necessary look at the MSDS from the manufacturer.

Just so you know, DE is not required for deep litter management. Some of the people that are newer to chickens like to use it and there's no problem if you want to make that choice. A lot of people get confused and think it's required. You can have a nice coop that isn't stinky, just by using shavings.

Back
Top Bottom