Is there a ratio?

djcook16

Chirping
Feb 15, 2019
Hello, Everyone: I'm new at this, so need advice. For each nesting box, what should be the maximum number of hens in a coop? I'm getting 18 hens and have 8 nests. Should I decrease the number of chickens or get more nests. Is there a commonly used ratio of nests to hens?

Last edited:
Okay, thanks you all! My son thought that each needed a box :)
Nah, but it is a common misconception. Ultimately, while laying a hen wont lat every day and on days she goes will be in the nest 5minutes to 2+hours (some are all business, some make a production of things, lol).....so several hird make use of the same box through the course of the day. Also, one egg in a nest says "this is a good place to lay" so following he s will use the same box vs. choosing an unused box. Spreading the love is as simple as using fake eggs in less favored boxes to give the impression those boxes have been given the "good coopkeepung seal of aporoval" as the happening place to nest

Okay, thanks you all! My son thought that each needed a box :)
You don't want them sleeping in the nests. Poopy eggs are nasty.
I have 7 Barred Rock Pullets. 3 nest boxes and most use the same nest.
I have found 4 or 5 eggs in the favorite.
I have seen 2 girls in the favorite box.

My first Flock of 5 Golden Comets had 2 nests boxes. Many times I would see a Pullet waiting for a nest when both were occupied.
20170730_061522.jpg

With a high production breed, I recommend a nest for every 2 chickens. GC

For each nesting box, what should be the maximum number of hens in a coop?
More important is how many birds to keep in what sized coop.
3 links on my signature should help you design your coop,
let me know if you can't see them.

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC!
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-3-18_10-13-30.png

I have 16 hens and three boxes. Most day's only two of them are used. Weird thing is it is not always the same 2. I could see if they had a favorite that they always used. One day they will use the middle one while the others sit empty. They will line up waiting to get in the middle. A couple days later the middle will be empty and they will be using the ones on the side......For 18 I think 4 or 5 would be a good number to have and adjust from there.

I have 16 hens and three boxes. Most day's only two of them are used. Weird thing is it is not always the same 2. I could see if they had a favorite that they always used. One day they will use the middle one while the others sit empty. They will line up waiting to get in the middle. A couple days later the middle will be empty and they will be using the ones on the side......For 18 I think 4 or 5 would be a good number to have and adjust from there.
Put a fake egg in all 3 nests and I'll bet they all get used ;)

Back
Top Bottom