Is this a cecal or roundworm? (w/ pics!)

Fluster Cluck Acres

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Mar 26, 2020
Frederick, MD
I finally had my phone on me when a chicken popped out a wormy poop. I think this is a cecal worm? Is this a cecal worm?

I’ve already started treating with .23 cc/lb. Safeguard x 5 days. Most of the flock has had 3 doses. I believe for cecal worms I’m supposed to do .23 ml once and repeat in 10 (or is it 14?) days. So, assuming these are confirmed as cecal worms, what should I do? I think I might as well complete the 5 day cycle. Once the 5 days are up, should I do a single dose in 10 days? I assume the timing of this particular dosage has to do with the lifecycle of the worms, so that makes me feel like I should repeat it in 10 days. Thoughts?

IMG_9219.jpeg

IMG_9221.jpeg

IMG_9213.jpeg

IMG_9217.jpeg

Could be roundworms in 2 pics, or cecal in one pic. Either way, Valbazen or SafeGuard will get rid of them. Valbazen dosage is 1/2 ml for chickens 4-6 pounds given orally once and again in 10 days. SafeGuard liquid goat wormer or horse paste dosage is 1/4 ml per pound of weight, given once and again in 10 days. For other worms, the dosage is the same for Valbazen, but the SafeGuard should be given for 5 days.

I should have been more clear about the pics. They’re all the same poo/worm. I wanted to be sure to have a good pic so I dug out that circled worm on the edge of the poo and photographed him.

For some reason, I always thought roundworms were long. This was tiny, smaller than 1/2 inch.

When the 5 days is up, should I do one more single dose in 10 days?

I should have been more clear about the pics. They’re all the same poo/worm. I wanted to be sure to have a good pic so I dug out that circled worm on the edge of the poo and photographed him.

For some reason, I always thought roundworms were long. This was tiny, smaller than 1/2 inch.

When the 5 days is up, should I do one more single dose in 10 days?
Here's a size comparison for you, cecal worms vs a penny.
It really doesnt matter what type of roundworm you're dealing with, the Safeguard will take care of them.
Five days dosing orally will be all that is necessary.

Attachments

• cecal worms.jpg
    cecal worms.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 6
Here's a size comparison for you, cecal worms vs a penny.
It really doesnt matter what type of roundworm you're dealing with, the Safeguard will take care of them.
Five days dosing orally will be all that is necessary.
Thank you. They were similar in size to these worms, so I guess that makes them cecal worms.

Jumping on this thread, please help identify. Found this single worm under their roost today. It’s just over an inch, appears to be segmented but not flat at all. I’m extremely hesitant to say tapeworm, I’ve dealt with those plenty working at vets. It is very much alive. Could be a beetle larvae. I am just overly paranoid.

I treated for roundworms about 3 weeks ago (slow kill) and a fecal sample showed no signs of worms about 5 days after treatment complete. Chickens appear healthy. Eating, drinking, foraging, dust bathing etc.
@dawg53
IMG_5709.jpeg
IMG_5707.jpeg
IMG_5708.jpeg
IMG_5706.jpeg
IMG_5705.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom