ejtalbert

Songster
May 8, 2020
So I just got this chick about 12 weeks ago, and she and a bunch of others were marked as "Starlight Green Eggers" which I had never heard of, but they laying info seemed plentiful so we got one.
Now I am wondering if technically she is an Easter Egger. She looks just like one to me.
I don't know if "Starlight Green Egger" is just a type of EE but that seems like an answer.
Can anyone explain?
FullSizeRender-1.jpeg
IMG_9747-1.JPG

Also, we are working on expanding the coop. I know it is small for 5! They are still young RN...

Can I ask, why you think it’s a male? Im trying to learn the distinctions.
I would say male because of how large the comb and wattles are, and especially because of how bright red the comb and wattles are, at such a young age.

Even when a pullet has a large comb at that age, it tends to be pale in color instead of bright like that.

Technically she's just a mixed breed.
EE isn't anything more then a label given to many different types of chickens so you can call her an EE. EEs aren't a breed and have no SOP so there's nothing set in stone to qualify or disqualify what constitutes a bird to be one. Plus everyone can have there own thoughts on what they should be.
A starlight green egger is also not a breed but a mixed breed with a fancy name chosen by a hatchery. One difference is that a SGE is supposed to lay green eggs only. So I guess if she ends up laying green eggs you can call her either or a mixed breed, barnyard mix, mutt or whatever.
If she lays other then green guess you couldn't call her a SGE but anything else applies.
SGE don't have any set standard either so nothing about how she looks qualifies or disqualifies her as being one.

I have two starlight green eggers that are approximately 10 weeks old. They looked like baby quail when I got them.

Attachments

• 20201101_200205.jpg
    20201101_200205.jpg
    970.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 20201101_200131.jpg
    20201101_200131.jpg
    970.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20201101-200106_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20201101-200106_Facebook.jpg
    798.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 20201101_194339.jpg
    20201101_194339.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 59
  • 20201101_122655.jpg
    20201101_122655.jpg
    646.5 KB · Views: 59
It is a hoovers hatchery name given to a bird bred with a colored layer and leghorn. Mine look similarly. While mine lay green eggs they are a light green.....probably due to the mix.

Yup a mixed breed bird that lays colored eggs. The leghorn was added to the bluebells to increase egg production numbers is my understanding.
Having leghorn in them being skittish I think is normal.

The prairie blue bells I have are both bearded and have combs similar to an EE but have yellow legs.

Colors can vary greatly since they are mixed breed birds.

So I just got this chick about 12 weeks ago, and she and a bunch of others were marked as "Starlight Green Eggers" which I had never heard of, but they laying info seemed plentiful so we got one.
Now I am wondering if technically she is an Easter Egger. She looks just like one to me.
I don't know if "Starlight Green Egger" is just a type of EE but that seems like an answer.
Can anyone explain?
View attachment 2195771View attachment 2195773
Also, we are working on expanding the coop. I know it is small for 5! They are still young RN...
Also, she isn't very friendly. She is the least of all of them, actually. She has always been very skittish since she was a chick. I have been trying to hold her everyday to get her used to us but whenever I get to close she runs away and starts nervous clucking. We have raised them kindly and the same as the others (who love to cuddle)

Back
Top Bottom