Is this a Rooster or Hen, also the breed....

rod5591

Songster
6 Years
Oct 15, 2017
Cookeville TN
These two gray chicks are about a week old. Its amazing they survived since they hatched with two broody hens in attendance, and both hens have been vying for the honor of raising these chicks. Can anyone tell if these two chicks' are going to be roosters or hens at this young age? Also, they look like Easter Eggers to me, but what do you think? Choices are Rhode island Reds, Black Marans, Black austrolourps, Easter Egger, and Delaware. I have never seen gray chicks before--are they common?

Attachments

• chick071222c.jpg
    chick071222c.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 47
  • chick071222b.jpg
    chick071222b.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 17
  • chick071222a.jpg
    chick071222a.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 17
  • chick1a.jpg
    chick1a.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 16
  • chick1.jpg
    chick1.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 16
Choices are Rhode island Reds, Black Marans, Black austrolourps, Easter Egger, and Delaware. I have never seen gray chicks before--are they common?

Photos of the potential parents?

Grey chickens are called "blue" and I personally have some Easter Eggers/Olive Eggers who have blue in their patterning.

This girl in particular:

0626220937a-copy-jpg.3163799

See her grey beard and tail?

These two gray chicks are about a week old. Its amazing they survived since they hatched with two broody hens in attendance, and both hens have been vying for the honor of raising these chicks. Can anyone tell if these two chicks' are going to be roosters or hens at this young age? Also, they look like Easter Eggers to me, but what do you think? Choices are Rhode island Reds, Black Marans, Black austrolourps, Easter Egger, and Delaware. I have never seen gray chicks before--are they common?
If you look at their wings, one chicks wings are still 1 inch stubs while the other’s are 3 inches with black feathers. One photo shows the difference well. According to my wife, the chick with the long wings is a cockerel and the one with the short wings is a pullet.

If you look at their wings, one chicks wings are still 1 inch stubs while the other’s are 3 inches with black feathers. One photo shows the difference well. According to my wife, the chick with the long wings is a cockerel and the one with the short wings is a pullet.

Feather sexing is only accurate for birds who were specifically bred to be sexable that way. :)

Thinking about it. 2 chicks hatched the same day. One with short wing feathers and one with long wing feathers. It makes sense the one with the short wing feathers is the pullet and the one with the long wing feathers is the cockerel. So I agree with my wife.

Back
Top Bottom