Is this a (very) late blooming Rooster or?

mccmeadows

Songster
Jul 19, 2021
Oil Springs, ON
Hey everyone!

Was handing out Sunday snacks and realized that one of our Lavender Orpingtons had some feathers that look more like our rooster..

BEA3A62B-8502-40CB-8299-9D9F15D6EB6A.jpeg

A laying pullet on the left and her not laying “sister” on the right. Everyone is about 28 weeks old including Buckbeak, our rooster in the back there.

A couple of different angles:
DCCA5085-BD9D-4ED2-9BA7-154BF848271A.jpeg

C3CE8C27-EFA4-4525-9EE7-868BCEACFE37.jpeg

Hoping I’m wrong and am just seeing things!

Hey everyone!

Was handing out Sunday snacks and realized that one of our Lavender Orpingtons had some feathers that look more like our rooster..

View attachment 2847179
A laying pullet on the left and her not laying “sister” on the right. Everyone is about 28 weeks old including Buckbeak, our rooster in the back there.

A couple of different angles:
View attachment 2847182
View attachment 2847183

Hoping I’m wrong and am just seeing things!
Yup I am pretty sure that that's a cockerel. It has saddle feathers.;)

Yup I am pretty sure that that's a cockerel. It has saddle feathers.;)
how?! how is it not crowing? why is it smaller than a pullet? why isn’t my rooster fighting with it? and I swear those feathers just appeared, haaha. there’s no way I didn’t notice. or I’ve had rose coloured glasses on every time I am with that flock. we processed the roosters from this hatch at the beginning of summer and they were all huge cockerels.

how?! how is it not crowing? why is it smaller than a pullet? why isn’t my rooster fighting with it? and I swear those feathers just appeared, haaha. there’s no way I didn’t notice. or I’ve had rose coloured glasses on every time I am with that flock. we processed the roosters from this hatch at the beginning of summer and they were all huge cockerels.
Some roosters just don't crow as early as others or it could be that the other cockerel is more dominant and he can't crow in front of him. @cherrynberry this is a cockerel, right?

Some roosters just don't crow as early as others or it could be that the other cockerel is more dominant and he can't crow in front of him. @cherrynberry this is a cockerel, right?
their groups were just combined a week ago, but Buckbeak is very docile. he just hangs with his girlfriend that we purchased him with. we actually haven’t seen him show any interest in any of the new girls. we also definitely haven’t seen this “new guy” mount anyone or anything like that either. he wasn’t even the alpha - the pullet pictured beside him is.

Back
Top Bottom