Is this an Ameraucana?

Dec 21, 2021
I had made an account here to ask about my sick hen (who is doing very well now, I really appreciate these forums!), and I got to questioning what breed she really is. The guy running the feed store who sold us our chickens said that he had Australorp, Rhode Island Red, and Ameraucana chicks. What we got were 3 Australorp, 1 Rhode Island Red, and what we thought were 3 Ameraucana. But don't Ameraucana chickens have that distinctly shaped head? Only one of them does. As you can see, this lady doesn't, and neither does the third. I'm almost certain they are laying blue eggs, but can't be 100% with all of them together in the same coop. Could they be a cross breed? Not that it matters much, but I was curious! Also, I've heard that white earlobes are a bad sign, but hers have always been white. I was sure that some chickens just have white earlobes, but now I'm slightly concerned. Before this flock, I've only ever had Australorp hens lol. Was hoping the experts here could help!

Attachments

• IMG_7868 (2).JPG
    IMG_7868 (2).JPG
    528 KB · Views: 71
Easter Eggers are often sold as Ameraucanas. I’d bet all three of yours are EEs.

White ear lobes are completely normal.
Ah, ok! I didn't know that, thank you! I've heard that these birds produce bigger eggs. They only started laying a few months ago, but I'm wondering if as they get older if I have any reason to worry about egg binding because of the larger sized eggs?

I had made an account here to ask about my sick hen (who is doing very well now, I really appreciate these forums!), and I got to questioning what breed she really is. The guy running the feed store who sold us our chickens said that he had Australorp, Rhode Island Red, and Ameraucana chicks. What we got were 3 Australorp, 1 Rhode Island Red, and what we thought were 3 Ameraucana. But don't Ameraucana chickens have that distinctly shaped head? Only one of them does. As you can see, this lady doesn't, and neither does the third. I'm almost certain they are laying blue eggs, but can't be 100% with all of them together in the same coop. Could they be a cross breed? Not that it matters much, but I was curious! Also, I've heard that white earlobes are a bad sign, but hers have always been white. I was sure that some chickens just have white earlobes, but now I'm slightly concerned. Before this flock, I've only ever had Australorp hens lol. Was hoping the experts here could help!
Yea that’s an Easter egger, my americaunas have very distinct heads, more wide and MIFFS AND BEARDS they’re so cute. Don’t have very good pics but this is cappachyno and mocha
8FAC6585-D7D6-4327-9A57-EE19279A1EE4.jpeg
3B847CC4-4C49-49F7-B612-2BB24A87976B.jpeg

Attachments

• FB254793-6C9F-4E74-891C-4D892637C087.jpeg
    FB254793-6C9F-4E74-891C-4D892637C087.jpeg
    736 KB · Views: 30
  • 1861C2A2-2A7A-4E8C-9CB0-0526EEEB6086.jpeg
    1861C2A2-2A7A-4E8C-9CB0-0526EEEB6086.jpeg
    27.1 KB · Views: 48

Back
Top Bottom