Quails1

Songster
6 Years
May 15, 2015
On December of 2017, I just lost all my doves due to a Cooper's hawk. To combat this, we applied mesh grids on all surfaces of the cage and attached them with barbs and hooks. I'm pretty unsure if this is going to be an effective deterrent towards predators of a certain species. Tell me from your experiences:
cages-16-jpg.1295236
cages-17-jpg.1295237
cages-22-jpg.1295242
cages-21-jpg.1295241
cages-18-jpg.1295238
cages-19-jpg.1295239
cages-20-jpg.1295240

Thanks for your help!

A hawk killed the doves while the doves were in that cage(before adding smaller mesh)?
Yes, it happened before we set this up. It was an unexpected mass slaughter. Will the mesh and barbs repel and deflect predators?

Yes, it happened before we set this up. It was an unexpected mass slaughter. Will the mesh and barbs repel and deflect predators?
Just the mesh should help for sure...
......barbs are probably unnecessary but might have satisfying to install.
I don't understand how a hawk could have gotten into the cage before,
looks like the bars are pretty close together.

Just the mesh should help for sure...
......barbs are probably unnecessary but might have satisfying to install.
I don't understand how a hawk could have gotten into the cage before,
looks like the bars are pretty close together.
I was guessing that too...

The hawk didn't jam itself in the cage, it pretty much attacked from the faces of the cage, clinging on and poking its talons inside while the birds tire out, then at the right moment, the hawk must have sunk its talons into the birds' bodies through the cage bars.

I was guessing that too...

The hawk didn't jam itself in the cage, it pretty much attacked from the faces of the cage, clinging on and poking its talons inside while the birds tire out, then at the right moment, the hawk must have sunk its talons into the birds' bodies through the cage bars.
So scared them to death...it's possible, then the bars may be function l in keeping the hawk from landing on cage.
How many doves died?
Did thye have any wounds?

Back
Top Bottom